• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Moses Shaw his marriage or marriages

Maisy

I need help please with this query and I am confused. Elizabeth Shaw born 1807/08 was the daughter of Moses b. 1785/6 and Sarah Shaw. She was baptised in St. Thomas, Dudley, Worcestershire. She was one of at least twelve children all born between 1799- 1819 to Moses and Sarah. All baptised in the same church.

I have found two marriages for Moses one in 1796 in Clent, Worcestershire to Sarah Walker. The other in 1804 in Kingswinford, Worcestershire to Sarah Griffin.

It looks like three children with Sarah Walker they were Rhoda bp.1799, Sarah bp.1801 and Kerenhappuch bp.1803. The other nine children were perhaps with Sarah Griffin including Elizabeth Shaw.

The 1841 census gives the ages of Moses and Sarah as 50 and his occupation is nailor. The 1851 census states aged 65, a nailor. I realise ages were rounded down in 1841. But that would make Moses and Sarah very young when they had their first child in 1799.

In the 1841 census Moses and Sarah are neighbours to their daughter Elizabeth and husband Samuel Rhodes.

Anyone have any ideas? Am I looking at two different Moses Shaw or is this the same man married twice.

Thank you in advance.