• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

(Mrs) Jessie Walters b c 1862 Devon(?)

In 1911 Jessie Walters, aged 49, married, born Stoke, Devon, was recorded as a visitor in the household of Mary Ann Cowling of Brentor, Devon. An endorsement in red, presumably made by the enumerator, could be read to signify that she had been married for 19 years and was childless. The names George Henry Walters and Jessie Turner appear on the same page of the marriage register of Tavistock in March Q 1893, but it is matter of speculation whether this is relevant.

I am exploring the possibility that Jessie and her hostess may have been related and need to establish her identity more precisely. I am hoping that 1901 will give me additional detail, and I would be pleased to hear from anyone able to trace the census record.

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi,

Here's Jessie and George Henry Walter (as transcribed) in 1901.

Civil parish Brentor
RD Tavistock
Sub RD Milton Abbot

George H Walters age 34 born Swanage Dorset
Jessie wife age 36 born Plymouth Devon

Class RG13
Piece 2119
Folio 13
Page 16

Thanks, both. I think Julie has hit the mark.

I have found George Henry Walters, of Swanage, living in Swanage with his sisters, as "head", in 1911. He stated he had been married for 18 years and was childless. Perhaps Jessie had returned to Brentor to visit friends.

It now seems quite possible that there was no family connection between Jessie and Mary Ann Cowling but I would still like to establish Jessie's parentage to confirm that. Any chance of finding Jessie Taylor, born Plymouth/Stoke Damerel circa 1862/5 in 1871? I see that children of that name were registered in Plymouth in 1862 and 1863.

it looks like Jessie is a serv in the same household in Tavistock in 1891 and 1881
1881 = RG11-2218-27-1 and 1891 = RG12-1749-132-25

there are two entries for Jessie Taylor ages 29 in 1871. I favour the entry RG10-2146-102-2 G.Dau to John and Hannah Metters aged 9 born Stonehouse. as she is living in Tavistock and the other is in Glous in 1881

dave

Last edited:
Thanks, Julie.

I have now discovered that in 1891 George Walters, a single man born Swanage, was lodging with Mary Ann Cowling. He was then working as a railway labourer. Mary Ann was a widow but in 1881 her husband, Henry, was employed as a railway packer.
I am satisfied that this is almost certainly the link.

Last edited:
just a thought adding to my last post

if Jessie was a Taylor and her grand parents were Metters, there is a marriage between William Henry Emanuel Taylor to Emma Metters JUN QTR 1861 Stoke D. There is then a death dec qtr 1862 of an Emma Taylor in Stoke D. Were these Jessie's parents?

dave

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
In 1911 Jessie Walters, aged 49, married, born Stoke, Devon, was recorded as a visitor in the household of Mary Ann Cowling of Brentor, Devon. An endorsement in red, presumably made by the enumerator, could be read to signify that she had been married for 19 years and was childless. The names George Henry Walters and Jessie Turner appear on the same page of the marriage register of Tavistock in March Q 1893, but it is matter of speculation whether this is relevant.

I am exploring the possibility that Jessie and her hostess may have been related and need to establish her identity more precisely. I am hoping that 1901 will give me additional detail, and I would be pleased to hear from anyone able to trace the census record.
Hi,

Ive been looking under Turner not Taylor, so I will delete my postings on Jessie Turner.

:)

Julie - I am so sorry that my carelessness resulted in your wasted effort. I guess I was trying to keep too many balls in the air at the same time. Please accept my sincere apologies.

Dave - I was beginning to think that I had found a reasonable explanation until you discovered a possible Metters connection. Now I have another avenue to explore. Mary Ann Cowling was originally Doidge and I have record of a Doidge/Metters marriage two generations earlier. This may be unrelated as inter-marriage in a small rural community is not uncommon, and I think I need documentation before extending my speculation.