• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

multiple Baptisms

ptjw7

Loyal Member
Doing a search for one of my wifes cousins in Ponders End,Enfield, i noticed that a large number of the baptisms were multiple for the same families.
These were in 2's 3's etc with the highest of 6 on the same day.
I can only assume that it was much cheaper for the family to have them all on the same day!

Even so I never found what I was looking for- oh well!

Peter

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Quite often parents waited until after a few births then baptised 3 or more children at once. You may have to consider that if you cannot find a baptism in a parish someone gave as his POB in a census etc. He/she may have been baptised later on.

I find this gets more common after about 1845.

Guy

Valued Member
Website
freespace.virgin.net
Doing a search for one of my wifes cousins in Ponders End,Enfield, i noticed that a large number of the baptisms were multiple for the same families.
These were in 2's 3's etc with the highest of 6 on the same day.
I can only assume that it was much cheaper for the family to have them all on the same day!

Even so I never found what I was looking for- oh well!

Peter
I am afraid your assumption, though commonly raised by genealogists is totally wrong.
It is unlawful (civil and ecclesiastical law) to charge for a baptism as baptism is a sacrament.

The 48th canon of the Council of Elvira in the year 305 decreed it unlawful this was repeated at various times throughout history and by Act of Parliament in 1872.

However there have been times when a charge was made to register the baptism and other times when a tax was levied on the birth of a child (there were even times when a tax was charged on men with no children).

Very often such multiple baptisms coincide with a new minister in the parish or the birth of a new sibling.
Cheers
Guy