• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Musicians

Kerrymac

Hi Everyone,
Amongst some of the family photos I have, is one of an Orchestra:)... what is unusual about the photo is that all the members of this string Orchestra are female and related in the same family.They are all members of the Lowe family, consisting of Daughters, Sisters, Aunts and Mothers.Apparently, they where well known and very good!.The family was extremely proud of it's musical tradition and it was also customary that suitors to the girls, had to learn to play an instrument well, before they could ask for their hand in marriage.The relative I have, was from the Stockport area and the photo is from between c1880-1890's period.The musical tradition continued even when she married as her own family children where members of a Brass band and one of those in the Great War, was a Regimental Cornet Player.He played many times over the fields of France and Belgium.:( kerrymac.....Have any of your family or relatives played musical instruments,or attempted to?:eek: :) .

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Everyone,
Amongst some of the family photos I have, is one of an Orchestra:)... what is unusual about the photo is that all the members of this string Orchestra are female and related in the same family.They are all members of the Lowe family, consisting of Daughters, Sisters, Aunts and Mothers.Apparently, they where well known and very good!.The family was extremely proud of it's musical tradition and it was also customary that suitors to the girls, had to learn to play an instrument well, before they could ask for their hand in marriage.The relative I have, was from the Stockport area and the photo is from between c1880-1890's period.The musical tradition continued even when she married as her own family children where members of a Brass band and one of those in the Great War, was a Regimental Cornet Player.He played many times over the fields of France and Belgium.:( kerrymac.....Have any of your family or relatives played musical instruments,or attempted to?:eek: :) .

Hi K, have you many Irish in your ancestry, as this seems quite an Irish tradition. Not the marriage thing, the violin/fiddle.

Steve.:)

Kerrymac

Hi Steve,
Yes, quite a few, both through the link of my postname McEwan in Ireland and Scotland and also Kerry surname linked to both Ireland and Scotland.The Orchestral link are the English side and the Valleys of Wales are represented by Davies. Proper mongrel me!:biggrin:.As for the fiddle playing, well being in a Clan society, gets you to many a ceilidh and the odd drop of guinness doesn't go amiss either:2fun: Seeing it's Burn's night I'll raise a dram of Whisky ( Irish or Scotch ) with you Slainte!:) kerrymac

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Steve,
Yes, quite a few, both through the link of my postname McEwan in Ireland and Scotland and also Kerry surname linked to both Ireland and Scotland.The Orchestral link are the English side and the Valleys of Wales are represented by Davies. Proper mongrel me!:biggrin:.As for the fiddle playing, well being in a Clan society, gets you to many a ceilidh and the odd drop of guinness doesn't go amiss either:2fun: Seeing it's Burn's night I'll raise a dram of Whisky ( Irish or Scotch ) with you Slainte!:) kerrymac

Slainte Mhath

Steve.:)

Kerrymac

:) Hiya Pat,:biggrin: you did better than me, I can't even whistle in tune!! oh! boy but I can hum for England!!:2fun: not necessarily in the right key:2fun: :2fun: best regards :) kerrymac.