• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

My biggest Mystery the origin of John Bullivant

duckweed

Loyal Member
This is my biggest mystery. My husbands family line comes from John Bullivant 1786 said to have been born in Lincoln. Sometimes referred to as John Bullivant Robinson. He was a butcher farmer who took over the land of someone called Robinson (we think he may have been apprentice to this Robinson as a butcher.) He married a young girl Martha Brown by special licence in 1808 (she was 16 and apparently orphaned). Martha's brother was a cattle dealer. Her father may have been a sailor in the Royal Navy.

After marriage I have plenty of documentation and have also seen the original parish records. There are no Bullivants listed in the Torksey area before the marriage of John.

When John's son William is married in Dec 1837 in the parish church at Gainsborough, there is a witness listed as Robert Bullivant. He had no siblings called Robert or any known relatives. Who is this Robert?

The only Robert who is a near fit is one who was born in Warwickshire and went to live in Sheffield for a time but I can't see any connection there. The other 2 Roberts, one was an infant and the other lived in Nottingham as a lacemaker.

I have struggled for years with this. One day I hope to crack this.

gibbo

Loyal Member
Hi DW,

I checked the newspapers just on the off chance but couldnt see anything that appeared to be your fella. There was nothing that showed up for a Robert [unless i missed it] and i did find this but dont think it will be of any help at all.

November 1 1803
Deaths

A few days ago, aged 58, the Rev John Bellivant, rector of Sudbrook[?], in Lincolnshire, and of Marilon Truffell [?] Northamptonshire.

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Duckweed,

I dont know if you have come across this Robert Bullivant.

Civil parish Gainsborough

Thomas Croft head age 35 born Gainsborough
Mary wife age 39 born Woodhouse Yorkshire
Eliza dau age 12 born Gainsborough
Charlotte dau age 11 born Gainsborough
Thomas son age 8 born Gainsborough
Jane dau age 4 born Gaisborough
John son age 3 born Gainsborough
William son age 1 born Gainsborough
Robert Bullivant nephew age 20 born Messingham

Class HO107
Piece 2120
Folio 219
Page 16

This could be Thomas first marriage to a Charlotte Mimmack district Gainsborough year 1837

Possible second marriage to a Mary Ellis year 1845 district Gainsborough.

duckweed

Loyal Member
Yes I know this one and the Robert there would be about 6 years old at the Wedding so I don't think he would be signing his name there. These Bullivants do show up in Sheffield though and I have always wondered if there was a family connection but have not been able to come up with a connection.

duckweed

Loyal Member
If only I could find a clear connection with another Bullivant line. I can't find his baptismal record in Lincoln, nor can I find the details of the special licence. I've tried to see if he comes up in illegitimacy records apprenticeship records but as yet nothing has come up.

leefer

Loyal Member
This is my biggest mystery. My husbands family line comes from John Bullivant 1786 said to have been born in Lincoln. Sometimes referred to as John Bullivant Robinson. He was a butcher farmer who took over the land of someone called Robinson (we think he may have been apprentice to this Robinson as a butcher.) He married a young girl Martha Brown by special licence in 1808 (she was 16 and apparently orphaned). Martha's brother was a cattle dealer. Her father may have been a sailor in the Royal Navy.

After marriage I have plenty of documentation and have also seen the original parish records. There are no Bullivants listed in the Torksey area before the marriage of John.

When John's son William is married in Dec 1837 in the parish church at Gainsborough, there is a witness listed as Robert Bullivant. He had no siblings called Robert or any known relatives. Who is this Robert?

The only Robert who is a near fit is one who was born in Warwickshire and went to live in Sheffield for a time but I can't see any connection there. The other 2 Roberts, one was an infant and the other lived in Nottingham as a lacemaker.

I have struggled for years with this. One day I hope to crack this.
Hi Duckweed.
Could be that the witness was a ringer.....many witness's at weddings lied...said he was Robert Bullivant...in reality and on any census he could be Joe Bloggs.....of course i am probably wrong but seems strange there is no trace of him.

duckweed

Loyal Member
Don't see why he would lie. Both bride and groom were of full age and no sign that there was any family argument. Nor was there any sign that they got married in a hurry. First child was born 10 months after marriage, so see no reason why they couldn't have friends and family at the wedding.

leefer

Loyal Member
Don't see why he would lie. Both bride and groom were of full age and no sign that there was any family argument. Nor was there any sign that they got married in a hurry. First child was born 10 months after marriage, so see no reason why they couldn't have friends and family at the wedding.
That is true Duckweed....though just because the census or birth certifacate says it was 10 months...in reality it could have been 9;)

What i cant understand is the Robinson bit.....did he get his name changed legaly and was his children called Robinson as well?

duckweed

Loyal Member
This just adds to the confusion some of his children were baptised Bullivant Robinson, some not, sometimes he is mentioned in parish records as Bullivant Robinson. Two of his daughters change round the surnames as Robinson Bullivant. All death certificates etc list people as Bullivant.

Zombie

Dear Duckweed

I am new to this forum but keen to get in touch because my family used two surnames too, i.e. Bullivant and Robinson. Did you ever get to the bottom of the mystery?

Ellie7

Loyal Member
I,m a bit new myself to this site,sorry I have not read all thte posts on this person.

Name:
John Bulivant
[John Bullivant]
Estimated Birth Year:
abt 1786
Where born:
Lincolnshire, England
Civil Parish:
Torksey
Hundred:
Lawress
County/Island:
Lincolnshire
England

View image
Registration district:
Gainsborough
Sub-registration district:
Marton
Piece:
Book:
Folio:
Page Number:
Household Members:
Name
Martha Bulivant 45
Job Bulivant 20
Betsey Bulivant 14
Charles Bulivant 6
Susan Bulivant 4

Name:
John Bullivant
Estimated Birth Year:
Relation:
Head
Spouse's Name:
Martha Bullivant
Where born:
Lincoln, Lincolnshire, England
Civil Parish:
Guiseley
Ecclesiastical parish:
Old Chapelry
Town:
Horsforth
County/Island:
Yorkshire
England

Condition as to marriage:
Registration district:
Wharfedale
Sub-registration district:
Horsforth
ED, institution, or vessel:
Neighbors:
View others on page
Household schedule number:
Piece:
Folio:
Page Number:
Household Members:
Name
Martha Bullivant 69
Charles Bullivant 25
Fanny Bullivant 11 -c1850Wickersley, Yorkshire, England

Ellie

Ellie7

Loyal Member
Name:
John Bullivant
Estimated Birth Year:
abt 1786
Registration Year:
Registration Quarter:
Jan-Feb-Mar
Age at Death:
Registration district:
Leeds
Parishes for this Registration District:
View Ecclesiastical Parishes associated with this Registration District
Inferred County:
Yorkshire West Riding
Volume:
9b
Page:

Were the issue illigit, or perhaps like Scotland had a common wife policy in Lincolnshire,or was he illigit.

Ellie

Ellie7

Loyal Member
Name: Jane Bullivant
Christening Date: 06 Sep 1812
Christening Place: Torksey, Lincoln, England
Father's Name: John Bullivant
Mother's Name: Martha Robinson

Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C03253-2 , System Origin: England-EASy , GS Film number: 1450412 , Reference ID: item 1

So was Martha a widow .

Ellie

Ellie7

Loyal Member
Fanny Bullivan
Christening Date: 02 Jul 1809
Father's Name: John Bullivan

Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C03253-2 , System Origin: England-EASy , GS Film number: 1450412 , Reference ID: item 1

John Bullivan
Christening Date: 25 Dec 1810

Ellie7

Loyal Member
Job Bullivant
Spouse's Name: Caroline Hickson
Event Date: 10 Jun 1823
Event Place: Holbeach, Lincoln, England

Indexing Project (Batch) Number: I02303-3 , System Origin: England-EASy , GS Film number: 1542148 , Reference ID: yr 1813-1850 p 111

Only other one I,ve found

Ellie

Edit-issue found born EAST RETFORD, NOTTINGHAM, ENGLAND

Last edited by a moderator:

duckweed

Loyal Member
Fanny Bullivan
Christening Date: 02 Jul 1809

John Bullivan
Christening Date: 25 Dec 1810

I don't know where these records have originated but mother's name is Martha Brown not Robinson as I have seen the special licence when she married John in 1808 plus I have seen photographs of Parish records and definitely she wasn't down as Robinson. John was.

As far as I understand it John Bullivant came to Torksey as a butchers apprentice for someone called Robinson. He later inherited Robinson's land after continuing the business for his master's wife when his Master died. Someone saw some land agreements that suggested that.

Ladybird1300

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi

Do you think this could be the Robert you are talking of??

irst name(s) Robert
Last name Bullivant
Name note Bachelor
Marriage year 1795
Marriage date 01 Jun 1795
Marriage place Withern, Lincoln, England
Father's first name(s) -
Father's last name -
Mother's first name(s) -
Mother's last name -
Spouse's first name(s) Mary
Spouse's last name Boulton
Spouse's father's first name(s) -
Spouse's father's last name -
Spouse's mother's first name(s) -
Spouse's mother's last name -
Residence Withern, Lincoln, England
Place Withern
County Lincolnshire
Country England
Record set England Marriages 1538-1973
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Subcategory Marriages & divorces
Collections from Great Britain

Sadly there are only Lincolnshire parish marriages on FMP, I'm looking for information as well.

Amanda