• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

My biggest Mystery the origin of John Bullivant

duckweed

Loyal Member
This is my biggest mystery. My husbands family line comes from John Bullivant 1786 said to have been born in Lincoln. Sometimes referred to as John Bullivant Robinson. He was a butcher farmer who took over the land of someone called Robinson (we think he may have been apprentice to this Robinson as a butcher.) He married a young girl Martha Brown by special licence in 1808 (she was 16 and apparently orphaned). Martha's brother was a cattle dealer. Her father may have been a sailor in the Royal Navy.

After marriage I have plenty of documentation and have also seen the original parish records. There are no Bullivants listed in the Torksey area before the marriage of John.

When John's son William is married in Dec 1837 in the parish church at Gainsborough, there is a witness listed as Robert Bullivant. He had no siblings called Robert or any known relatives. Who is this Robert?

The only Robert who is a near fit is one who was born in Warwickshire and went to live in Sheffield for a time but I can't see any connection there. The other 2 Roberts, one was an infant and the other lived in Nottingham as a lacemaker.

I have struggled for years with this. One day I hope to crack this.