• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

My Family at War - BBC Programs

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
My Family at War - BBC Program, part of the 1918-2008: Ninety Years of Remembrance is a BBC campaign to mark the 90th anniversary of Armistice, running in the days leading up to 11 November 1918.

My Family at War runs from 3 November, final programme 11 November.
Four-part series taking a selection of well-known faces on a journey in search of their own family war stories.

Details of the forthcoming series transmission dates have just been released:

3 Nov 10.35-11.15pm BBC 1
Dan Snow and Natalie Cassidy

4 Nov 10.35-11.15pm BBC 1
Matthew Kelly and Phil Tufnell

5 Nov 10.45-11.25pm BBC 1
Eamonn Holmes and Kate Silverton

11 Nov 9.00-10.00pm BBC1
Rolf Harris and Kirsty Wark

Excerpt:
Dan Snow, the TV historian, belongs to one of Britain's most distinguished broadcasting families. When he began looking into the past of a little-known ancestor, however, he was shocked to uncover a deeply uncomfortable family secret. Sir Thomas D'Oyly Snow, the grandfather of TV journalists Peter and Jon Snow, was a general at the Battle of the Somme who sent thousands of men to their deaths.

Dan came close to tears as he stood in the graveyards of northern France, contemplating his great-grandfather's central role in the biggest disaster in British military history. On the first day at the Somme, 1 July 1916, the army suffered 57,470 casualties, including 19,240 dead.
Hope you find time to watch it,

Regards,
Dave