• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

My Granny's Dad.(Moore)

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi

The 1881 census states Jane as married. I cannot find Jacob in the 1871 census and if he was a soldier, then he may have been out of the country.

I cannot find any trace of anyone even with the firstnames of Jacob Aaron born 1848-1852. He may have meant to say Thomas as his middle name rather than Aaron when he wed. Or the registrar got the middle name mixed up.

Ben

Ben, 1871 census, I have found a Jacob Moore b.c1850 (Soldier) in Wellington Barracks, Bury, Lancashire. Aged 21. Born in Chatham, Kent.

What do you think. Not far from Salford, Jane Elizabeth's birth place. Need to find her in 1871 as Jane Elizabeth Moore. (When was the 1871 census taken).

Steve.

Last edited:

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Steve

In the 1871 census he says that he is unmarried when in the barracks.

The 1871 census was taken I think in early April 1871.

Ben

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
yahoooo. Benny, have found Jane E Moore (Williams) living with her father in Salford. 1871.
Is transcribed as Jane C.

What do you reckon now. If Jacob is in Bury.? If he is in the Army 1871, and in 1874 he is a joiner could this be him/them.

Steve.:)

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Steve

As Jacob was taken away by the men in white coats in about 1877-1878, then he may have forgotten his actual birthplace, and even marital status in 1871.

I cannot find any record of a Jacob Moore born in Kent in about 1845-1855 in any other census or birth record.

Ben

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Sorry if I keep coming up with stuff Benny, I just want to make sure before I accept the 'Imbicile Gene'. :D

Whilst searching for endless Jacob's, I came up with another.
1851 census.
Chatham Barracks - Royal Marines.

Jacob Moore b.1819. Galston, Norfolk
Rebecca Moore b.1824. Torquay, Devon.
William Moore b.1850. Chatham. (Mother is named as Barbara Moore). but named as son.?

Reg.Dist. Chatham.
Sub. Gillingham.

ED.1u
House. 1

No Barbara to be seen here, could they have 'adopted' William and changed his name.?
Can you have a look and see what you think.
Also William(Jacob?) could have named his first born child Rebecca (his adopted? mum's name), and my Granny's name.

Last edited:

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Sorry if I keep coming up with stuff Benny, I just want to make sure before I accept the 'Imbicile Gene'. :D

Whilst searching for endless Jacob's, I came up with another.

Chatham Barracks - Royal Marines.

Jacob Moore b.1819. Galston, Norfolk
Rebecca Moore b.1824. Torquay, Devon.
William Moore b.1850. Chatham. (Mother is named as Barbara Moore). but named as son.?

Reg.Dist. Chatham.
Sub. Gillingham.

ED.1u
House. 1

No Barbara to be seen here, could they have 'adopted' William and changed his name.?
Can you have a look and see what you think.
Also William(Jacob?) could have named his first born child Rebecca (his adopted? mum's name), and my Granny's name.

Where is the asylum Jacob was staying at Benny.?

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Steve

What makes you think Rebecca is the adoptive mother? I cannot locate William Moore in the 1861 census yet.

There is a website that has Chatham baptisms but when I keep going into it, I get an almost blank page. It is cityark medway website. Maybe William's baptism may help.

Ben

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Steve

What makes you think Rebecca is the adoptive mother? I cannot locate William Moore in the 1861 census yet.

There is a website that has Chatham baptisms but when I keep going into it, I get an almost blank page. It is cityark medway website. Maybe William's baptism may help.

Ben

Hi Benny,

Thanks for helping.

In 1851 at Chatham Barracks, Jacob(1819) and Rebbeca, have William(1850) as son. But mother as Barbara Moore.?
I was thinking that maybe Barbara had given him up for any number of reasons.
If they had 'adopted' him, that would make Rebecca the adoptive mother. I don't know of the adoption procedure then, nor the the possibility of changeing Williams name to Jacob.
It's all theory, but would it be possible considering the laws at the time.

Steve.:) :)

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Steve

The only Barbara I can see is a Barbara Menzies aged 1 living in the barracks. I cannot find a Barbara Moore anywhere. Just Jacob, Rebecca and William.

Ben

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Steve,

Did you look into that birth of Jacob Moore born 1878 Salford to see if he was the said son of Jacob Aaron Moore?.

No Julie, had it on the to do list. Don't know what happened.redf)

But there was also another Jacob Moore b.1879 and died 1879.

Also a Jacob Moore b.1878 J/F/M

Both same Vol. number, but 2 pages apart.

Now it's back in mind, which one should I go for.:confused:
I suppose, one at a time. And knowing my luck it will be number 2. Or none of them match what I want. But, hey ho here we go.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Steve

Adoption didnt become legal until 1926. It only happened informally before 1926 which in my opinion meant nothing as it was really only being like a guardian. I feel that official adoption was invented in 1926.

I just looked at the original census entry for the Moore's in the barracks and there is no mention of a Barbara. Just Barbara Menzies aged 1 with her family.

Ben

tiddy30

is it possible that william is jacobs son and his mother gave him to jacob to look after as he had married and had an income with him being in the army?:confused:
or williams mother died and jacob took his son for his wife to look after??

Last edited:

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
is it possible that william is jacobs son and his mother gave him to jacob to look after as he had married and had an income with him being in the army?:confused:
or williams mother died and jacob took his son for his wife to look after??

Hi Tiddy,
Do you mean that Williams mother died, and Jacob took Barbara's son, for him and Rebecca to look after and possibly adopt.

And in the process changed Williams name to Jacob.

If that is what you are saying, that is my theory.

I ask myself,

1. Why is William named as son. :confused:
2. What happened to Barbara. :confused:
3. Was Barbara, Jacob's sister. :confused:

Steve. :)

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Steve

Could you post any info you have on this Barbara woman. This may help further in solving the mystery.

I am more convinced, though, that the 1847 born Jacob in Portsea is yours.

Ben

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Steve

Could you post any info you have on this Barbara woman. This may help further in solving the mystery.

I am more convinced, though, that the 1847 born Jacob in Portsea is yours.

Ben
Blimey Benny, are you a mind reader. I was just about to spend more of my pocket money on a birth cert for him, and also one for his potential son in Salford.

I have no info on Barbara. Only a name off the census entry.

If the Portsea one is wrong, I'll send you the bill.:biggrin: :2fun: :2fun: :2fun:

Last edited:

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Steve

It wouldnt be a bad idea to send off for that 1878 birth cert. If it is for another child of Jacob and Jane then this should narrow down when he was sent to the nuthouse.

Ben

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Well Ben and Julie,
I am now a pauper. I have sent for all three certs. Seemed pointless sending for two.

Jacob. Salford 1878 o/n/d
Jacob. Salford 1879 j/f/m
I think these maybe the same one, I don't know why, I've just got one of those 'feelings'.

Jacob. Portsea. 1847 a/m/j