• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Mystery name on certificates

Last year I was researching my family history.My family comes from Stockport,Cheshire. When I pulled up my birth certificate and my parents marriage certificate my Mother's name was listed as Burgess /otherwise known as Hartigan.
We had always been told my Mother's maiden name was Burgess. We have no idea why the name Hartigan is on these two documents. I checked my other five siblings they do not have this name on their certificates.When I asked my older siblings if they knew what this was all about-they did not know.One brother said the name sounded familiar but he could not remember why.So how do I even begin to find an answer. One theory is that my Mother was illegitimate and that's why both names. I looked up births on the day she was born in Stockport. There was no Catherine Burgess listed on that day but there was a Catherine Hartigan in the Birth records. It is our great family mystery at this point.