• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Name McCorNick Please

Hi i'm sorry i have not been on here since i signed up but time has just caught up with me and i have been waiting for Birth Certificates but i can't get hold of one and now i'm stuck, his name was William McCorNick born in 1882 in Colvend Scotland this man was my Great Grandfather i have his marriage to Annie Rolfe in 1908 West Derby and then had my Nan, so i do know this is the right person but why cant i fine a Birth?
Can some one help please this would mean so much to me
Many thanks for reading and taking time out Joanne:0)

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Joanne,

Have you tried looking for variations of the name eg - MacCormick, MacCormack etc.
Sorry, but I have very little access to Scottish records.

There appears to be a William McCornick, with parents of John & Matilda MacCornick in 1891.
John appears to be a Police Constable. Born abt.1850. Glasserton Wigtownshire

Matilda was born abt.1852. Creetown, Kirkudbright.

With them is Helen Johnston b.abt.1828. Creetown. Listed as Mother-in-law.

All living in Kirkconnel, Dumfries.

Steve.:)

Last edited:
Hi Joanne

I have found the birth of William McCornick in 1881 .6th Aug. in Colvend, Kirkcudbright.
Ref. 861/00 0015

Father . John McCornick . Gamekeeper
Mother. Matilda McCornick nee Johnstone

There were 9 entries of only one for Colvend
They were married in Kirmabreck
This is ringing bells with me, are you sure you have not asked before?

MARRIAGE

1878 Kirmabreck, Kircudbrightshire
7th June. After banns ascending both United Presbyterian and Church of Scotland.
John McCornick. 28. Bachelor. Gamekeeper living at Bog ?Knowe, Southwick.
Father. William McCornick. Shepherd
Mother. Elizabeth " nee McDowell

Matilda Johnston (please note spelling ) 27,Domestic Servant. Spinster.
Abode. Clectron or Crectner
Father. John Johnston . Granite Quarry Labourer . Deceased
Mother Helen Johnston nee Watson

Witnesses Thomas Kirtish ? and Elizabeth Johnston

These records are all available on www. scotlandspeople.org and is a pay per view site. £6 with credit card will enable you to view all records and allow you more records to view with your 30 credits.
Scottish birth records , if parents were married will also give you date of marriage and where.

Maddie

Thank you for the help.
I would like to say i have not been on this site before, this is my first time.
I would like to thank you you all for the help i will now go and play around with the Scottish Site(this will be full) i found this site very hard to understand.
Once again Thank you :)

Hi Joanne

You are most welcome.

I enjoy the Scottish site very much. Please bear in mind that sometimes you will need to put in " sounds like ". There is a new button that if you click on it , it will drop down with a list and at the bottom is the one to use. When I put in Johnstone it did not come up, but with the sounds like, it came up without the E.

You also have the census which will help more with birthplace names, such as Creetown, and Glasserton. Parish records are sometimes very badly written , and unless you know the area can be difficult to decipher.

You should be able to find on the 1851 census John McCornick with his parents which will then give some more birthplaces for his parents, which sometimes saves money on the Index of births, and then you can view and print it out yourself

Good luck, and come back if you need more help.

Maddie