• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Nationality - by default

Not many people know this, but it was Hitler's fault that I'm a Welshman. My late parents met in London prior to WWII, my father was a painter and decorator and could have been working at either Charing Cross Hotel or Hospital (could have been both) and my mother was working in service having been brought up in St Helens. WWII starts and my parents leave London to go to the Rhondda village of Blaenllechau and remained there. So I could have been English had it not been for that man! You have to see the funny side of things sometimes?:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

gaelwyn

Valued Member
My mother was told by her father that his family were Welsh. He emigrated with his parents William Henry Wynn and Maria Page, plus grandparents Edward Wynn and Mary Croft..... when he was 5 yrs old (in 1878 )
When I started my research I was gobsmacked to discover that grandfather George and his parents were born in Staffordshire and only Edward was Welsh!!
Even though they were born there, they always felt Welsh, I suppose.

My parents met in the middle of a pedestrian crossing ... lucky they didn't get run over :cool:

Gail :)

ps. what's Welsh waffle??

JeffAlvey

Whats Welsh Waffle? :confused:
A bit like Welsh Rabbit.
(think of the three types of it:
1./ Little furry animal
2./ Welsh chattering
3./ Cheese on toast)

I very well remember in the 1950's being VERY disappointed when I ordered number 3. above, as a child in a cafe with my Mum and Dad [thinking it would be some sort of rabbit dish - I liked rabbit a lot] and out came cheese on toast !!

Mum and Dad chortling away at my disgust.
Scarred me for life it did !!

Sorry Jeff, but we call it Welsh Rarebit! Not to be confused in calling me a Welsh rarebit either! Posh people put a slice of tomato on it, but one thing I do know, I don't ever recall us ever having it when my late mother cooked over an open-hearth fire. It's a funny world!

JeffAlvey

Sorry Jeff, but we call it Welsh Rarebit! Not to be confused in calling me a Welsh rarebit either! Posh people put a slice of tomato on it, but one thing I do know, I don't ever recall us ever having it when my late mother cooked over an open-hearth fire. It's a funny world!
Picky-picky-picky !!! I knew that (the rarebit bit), not then but now, BUT as a little lad it was rabbit to me. [end of tongue in cheek "snooty Englishman lobbing bricks over Offa's Dyke"]. :2fun: