• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Naval Hospital/sickbay Cullercoats

dochines

Valued Member
Can anyone find me any information on a second world war naval sickbay/ small hospital in Cullercoats Northumberland please. It was still open for a while in the later part of 1945. There are references to people being there but I have been totally unable to establish an address or building the Navy had taken over. I would like to know more of the facilities available

dochines

leefer

Loyal Member
Can anyone find me any information on a second world war naval sickbay/ small hospital in Cullercoats Northumberland please. It was still open for a while in the later part of 1945. There are references to people being there but I have been totally unable to establish an address or building the Navy had taken over. I would like to know more of the facilities available

dochines
Hi Dochines...almost certainly the lifeboat station or Watch House bottom of link, i would guess though i cannot find any reference

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cullercoats

Edit....also just found this link with a little info on regarding a telephone mask in Cullercoates during WW2.

http://www.newcastle.gov.uk/wwwfileroot/legacy/regen/locallist/tyne_and_wear_defence_sites.pdf

Hope you get some solid info.

Last edited:

dochines

Valued Member
Thank you all for your help with this mystery. I still do not understand why I cannot find anything solid on line or even in archives. I had spent several weeks searching before I decided to ask the rest of this great team for help

My father worked there for 6 months just after the end of the war and from what I can make out from my mother (aged 90 with health and memory failing) it was not actually on the coast road but a little in land. She thought it had been a country house or a hotel or even a school before the war. They had been billetted in a little fisherman's cottage right on the beach. It only had a small number of beds say 20 and was for recuperation and rehab of naval personel

I am hoping some one else may pop up with knowledge of Cullercoats in the meantime please keep an eye out for anything for me

dochines