• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Need help please with Grandfather

From
England
My Grandfather Edward White was born about 1868 and my mother was told he was christened in St.Martins in the Fields london though I can find any record of his birth or christening. I can locate him in the 1901 census where he was working as a pub manager my grandmother was with them and although they had a child together they were not married and my grandfather was recorded as single.in 1903 they were married and he recorded hisself on the cert as a widower! I dont know much more about him up to then apart from the fact he was a boxer and won a British boxing Campionship in 1889.Any help would be appreciated as I been trying to find him for ages.

Hi Madeleine

What was the name of the woman Edward may have married, the mother of the baby?

ST Martin In The Fields is not on any internet genealogy website yet so to look for a baptism you'd have to consult the original PRs at Westminster Archives, unless you have done that already.

Ben

Hi Ben Thanks for your reply. My Grandfather was married to Maud Wood and their son who was a year old in 1901 was Edward Wood. I just cant work out why he said he was a widower on his wedding cert in 1903, but said he was single in the 1901 census.

Hi Madeleine

What was his fathers name on his marriage cert? Have you found him on any of the 1871, 1881, or 1891 censuses?

Ben

Hi Madeleine

What was the name of the woman Edward may have married, the mother of the baby?

ST Martin In The Fields is not on any internet genealogy website yet so to look for a baptism you'd have to consult the original PRs at Westminster Archives, unless you have done that already.

Ben
Thanks for your reply .I have replied to you but it seems to have disappeared! you will have to bear with me Im new to this site.Anyway in case you didnt get the last one I will repeat lol .My grandfather was married to Maud Wood and their son was Edward Wood who was 1yrs in 1901.They married in 1903 and although he stated he was single in the 1901 census, he said he was a widower on his marriage cert!

Hi Madeleine

New members first 3 posts have to be approved by a mod, and I have approved them. I cannot think of one I have missed out.

If he was born in 1868 and married in 1903 aged about 35 then he may have been married before and the "Single" on the 1901 census meant he was single at the time. If you were widowed you were supposed to state that on the census but of course some people may have misinterpreted that.

He may have married in about 1890ish to his first wife. Any parental info or birthplace info from censuses would be good in helping find his birth details.

Ben

Hi Madeleine

What was his fathers name on his marriage cert? Have you found him on any of the 1871, 1881, or 1891 censuses?

Ben
Hallo again Ben
His Father's name was John White (deceased) and he was recorded as a House of Lords messenger. The only census I found that could have been his was 1891 where a Edward White was living in Walthamstow and he was married to Elizabeth. His age at the time is right but i cant verify that it was him. I did look to see if an Elizabeth White was on the death records ut I couldnt find anything

I did find an Edward White in the 1881 census living in St George The Martyr London the 13 year old son of John and Sarah White born St Martins but his father John is a shoemaker.

I did find an Edward White in the 1881 census living in St George The Martyr London the 13 year old son of John and Sarah White born St Martins but his father John is a shoemaker.

Thanks Ben
Yes Ben I have found that one too.It could possibly him I discounted before because my mother always said that his father was a white collar worker but maybe things got confused.I will try now to go down that route thanks again for your help and advice.Wish me luck lol

Hi
In 1889 you say he was a boxer. (I think it says he was champion in 1887 on Wikepedia) There is a census record for 1891 which I think you may have seen

Name: Edward White
born: Strand, London, England

Civil Parish: Walthamstow
Ecclesiastical parish: St Saviours
County/Island: Essex
Registration district: West Ham
Sub-registration district: Walthamstow

Edward White 23 Athlete
Elizabeth White 23

I would say a boxer was an athlete, could this be him
dave

Hi Dave
Thank you for your help I have got that 1891 census. I know he was a bare knuckle fighter in his early days and as it seems people looked down on that profession maybe he put hisself down as an athlete as it looked more respectable.Is there anyway I can find the death certificate for his first wife Elizabeth, I have searched the BMD for her name but nothing has come up.I would be grateful for any hints
Thanks again
Madeleine

Back