• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Need help please

witch

Hi. I have just found and joined this forum. I need some help trying to find my maternal grandparents' marriage. G/mother was maud beckett, born 1901, died 1958. G/father was george west c1900 to c1936. My mother was born in 1929. They lived in Plumstead. g/mother also had a second marriage to stanley shelley, again I can find no record. I'm also new to family history tracing & have no living members to ask. Thanks for any aid.

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Witch,

I've had a look but cannot see the marriage, but will have another look under West this time.

Are there any other children born b/4 your mother? this might help to narrow it down, there are other possibilities! it has been left off the GRO index, they didnt marry, she may have been married before.

witch

I am so impressed.:) Thank you so far. Yes, her middle name was Louisa. My mum was the eldest child ( deceased 1970) . Her b/cert gives beckett & west so I thought her parents were not married. Next child, my uncle, his b/cert gives parents as west. There were no children from the shelley mariage but it's just great to have a little more info.

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
On her marriage to Stanley Shelley she gives her maiden name in theory it should be her married name and on the marriage cert late west formerly beckett, (this is what I have on one of mine ,(late divorced wife of..., widow and formerly), unless the 1st marriage wasnt mentioned but still unable to find it.
I also had a look for George Wests death the, looking from 1934-1938 the only one I found was a George J West year 1936 (cant remember what 1/4 it was) district Woolwich age 69.

witch

I recently "found" one of my mum's brothers, Len. He's not a lot of help unfortunately as his only inormation is that his father ( george frederick west) died when he was 6. As Len was born in 1933, that is where I took the info on george's death. I have found a record 3rd qtr 1939 Dartford, which is close to where they lived. Len was sent to a children's home along with a younger brother while my mum stayed with her mum. I never thought of Maud as having been married before although I did wonder at her having children "late" . Many thanks for what you are doing.