• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Need help re John Watson architect

duckweed

Loyal Member
I am trying to establish a link between John Carr of Horbury Wakefield Mason and Architect to John Watson (possibly stone Mason too) architect of Wakefield.
I think that his son Charles Watson may have worked for John Carr at Wentworth Woodhouse. John Watson built the Foundling Hospital at Ackworth School.

I am pretty sure there is a link between the 2 Johns. John Carr became mayor of York and built Fairfax House in York.

What I know for sure is Charles Watson was born in 1773 in Wakefield and married a Mary Ann Cripps in York at St Olave Church in 1778 and died in December 1836 and was buried at the Holy Trinity Church in Micklegate York.

Any info you can find would be very helpful as could help people in Wakefield get some funding to set up an exhibition.

duckweed

Loyal Member
I found John Carr with John Watson drawing up design for Wakefield House of Correction so looks like I have found the link. I think John's son Charles was apprenticed to John Carr but can't as yet prove it. It is said that the church that Charles Watson built in Wakefield was heavily influenced by John Carr. Of course that doesn't prove he served under John Carr.

duckweed

Loyal Member
I need help consolidating this but so far I have.

Charles Watson was born in 1773? in Hobroyd, Wakefield. His father was John Watson junior, a stonemason and architect/surveyor. No birth details but most likely same place. His father was John Watson senior also stonemason and architect/surveyor.

We then have Robert Carr who had business in Horbury, Wakefield. He was also a stone mason and architect/surveyor. He and John Watson senior surveyed, mended and built the bridges of West Riding of Yorkshire. There is a publication apparently called the Book of bridges 1752 but looks like I will have to go to Wakefield archives to see it.

In 1757 John Watson senior died and was replaced as surveyor by his son John Watson junior. Then in 1761 Robert Carr died and was replaced by his son John Carr. So for a few years John Watson and the great architect John Carr were working together till 1773, and was then replaced by his brother Robert. It is unclear at that point whether Charles Watson became an orphan as there is a suggestion of a death in 1773. So was Charles an orphan from birth or near it? If so what happened to the business?

In 1788 Charles Watson was apprenticed to William Lindley of Doncaster sometimes spelled Linley. Lindley it is said had been apprenticed to John Carr. Can't find any details of that. Lindley became architect for the Marquiss of Rockingham, Wentworth/Watson family Confusingly their family name is Watson but no relation. He definitely worked with John Carr but exact details not forthcoming. He founded his own company in 1774.

emeltee

Loyal Member
There is a baptism in 1771 in Felkirk

12th April 1771 Charles son of Mr John Watson South Hindley

and on the same page a burial

11th April 1771 Mr John Watson (Gentleman) South Hindley.

Not sure if this is the same family. According to Genuki Felkirk is 3.2 miles from Hodroyd and 6 miles from Horbury. There is a South Hiendley which is 0.8 miles from Felkirk.

Emeltee

duckweed

Loyal Member
I have seen name South Hiendley somewhere else so think this has to be right people. I suppose someone who was a stone mason would make sure he had a good tomb. Had a friend who was stone mason who made his gravestone and put on everything but his death date.

I shall have to go and look it up. Not many tombs that are listed.

duckweed

Loyal Member
Two other mysteries I am trying to unravel. In 1778 a John Watson married a Hemingway. Uncle perhaps? Anyway later on when just before Charles set up his own practice he took on an assistant in 1797 and his name was John Hemingway.

Second puzzle is how did Charles meet his wife? Mary Ann Cripps was living in York with her brother and sister. Her sister married into the Kitchener family. From details about the Kitchener family the girls would appear to have had an inheritance stemming from both Father and Mother's wills. So imagine she was good catch as they say. But Charles wasn't living in York. Did he do any commissions there perhaps or did the sisters visit someone in Wakefield area?

Its beginning to read like a Jane Austen Novel.

duckweed

Loyal Member
I am working on that. I know there was a William who went into business with him but died at the age of 24 in 1829. So birth must have been in 1805 in Wakefield but not his old home as there is nothing in Felkirk Parish records. Other sons called Thomas Cripps Watson, Shepley Watson and Charles Watson.

emeltee

Loyal Member
Not sure if I hav found them all. Looking at the images some of the pages are badly damaged and impossible to read in places.

Born/baptised in Wakefield

? male 1798
Charles Shepley 1799 died 1802
John 1803
William 1805
Shepley 1806
Charles 1807

Born/baptised York
Edward 1809 - 1809
Thomas Cripps 1811

I also found the burial of a daughter Catherine in Wakefield, but no baptism.

Mary Ann was born, according to her burial record, in 1765 and, according to the baptisms of several of the children, was the daughter of Thomas and Catherie Cripps. She died in 13th July 1811 in York, the comment for cause of death given on the burial rcord is "Childbed" so I would presume she died giving birth to Thomas, particularly as he was born and baptisd 13th July.

Emeltee

duckweed

Loyal Member
Interesting that Shepley Watson became the deputy sheriff in York. Found them in York in 1840

1840 elections Doncaster Ward
Shepley Watson Grove Terrace York
Thomas Cripps Watson grove terrace York

Later Shepley is down as in Hiendley, the family area. The Watson's seemed to have owned a coal mining company. Possibly they owned quarries.