• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Need help to find birth record for Joseph Redding born 1880

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. I have been trying to get hold of my great grandads birth certificate with no luck so far. All the information I had until today was that he was born 1880 in Dublin , Ireland. His father's name was Joseph Redding & his mother was called Mary.

Today I found that his town of birth was West Meath. Does that help to get the relevant information to obtain his birth certificate?

Any help would be gratefully accepted.

Many thanks

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
If Joseph's place of birth is given as 'Dublin' it may or may not be the city. It could be anywhere in the county of Dublin. Dublin may have been used because it was the closest large city.

West Meath is a totally different county.

Many Irish records no longer exist. Lots were lost in 1922 in the Four Courts fire and while some copies were subsequently found in parish hands not all were.

You also can't rely on the spelling of the family name being REDDING only in records that do exist.