• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Need your help desperately

duckweed

Loyal Member
I have volunteered to write a more interesting history of Bishops House Norton Lees Sheffield (previously Derbyshire) We are trying to stimulate more interest in this building as it is threatened with closure and reduced spending for its upkeep.

Anyway my problem is that all I have to go on for the family in 1500 is some very erractic LGI records.

William Blythe married Saffrey Austin and had 3 sons Richard born abt 1477 and died 1524, John who became a bishop and died in 1499, and Geoffrey who also became a bishop and died about 1530.

The house was built about 1500 and first likely birth there is John Blythe born 1502. What I need to find out is who is the father of John as it is likely he was the builder of the house. IGI suggests a Robert but also says Robert was John's son (as far as I know Bishops didn't marry then and even if he did, think it would be unlikely he would be sending his son back to Norton Lees) I think this is more likely to be built by a younger brother or Richard's youngest son, as from that date the family at Norton Lees becomes a minor branch of the family.