• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Nellie Chapman

I would like to trace the Birth date for my matternalGrandmother Nellie Chapman born about 1904 at 'burnfields' Nr Stebbing Essex. She
Died at Dunmow about 1978 aged 74 approx and if possible her parents names ( I think her father was Thomas)

Thankyou

Gwen

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Gwenyth

Do you have their marriage reference? Walter Thorogood married Nellie Chapman in 1922 in the Dunmow district ref 4a 1879. Have you tried finding her on the 1911 census?

Ben

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi

I haven't got any more credits for 1911 but I think I have found Nellie in the 1911 census aged 8, born c1903 in the Dunmow district of Essex through the free name/place search feature.

The Head of the Household is a Thomas Chapman born about 1876. The advanced search engine wont let you type in a fathers name so I typed in Thomas with any household members called Nellie in Dunmow district and found him.

This will make it easier to find him in 1901.

Ben

Hi

I haven't got any more credits for 1911 but I think I have found Nellie in the 1911 census aged 8, born c1903 in the Dunmow district of Essex through the free name/place search feature.

The Head of the Household is a Thomas Chapman born about 1876. The advanced search engine wont let you type in a fathers name so I typed in Thomas with any household members called Nellie in Dunmow district and found him.

This will make it easier to find him in 1901.

Ben
Thankyou Ben

That will be Gran and granddad I know they were living at a place called ' Boarded Barns ' in 1957 when I was a baby. Granddad died when I was 2. Hope I can help you when I get my pc online next Friday.

Thanks to you all

Gwen

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi

Was your Thomas born in Felstead? Here is a possible entry for him in 1901.

Residence The Hole, Great Saling, Essex

Thomas Chapman aged 25, AG Labourer, born Felstead.
Sarah Chapman, Wife aged 24 born Felstead.

Ben

gwenythgreen

Valued Member
Hi

Was your Thomas born in Felstead? Here is a possible entry for him in 1901.

Residence The Hole, Great Saling, Essex

Thomas Chapman aged 25, AG Labourer, born Felstead.
Sarah Chapman, Wife aged 24 born Felstead.

Ben
Hi Ben

I am not sure but I do know Nellie was born on a smallholding
Just outside Stabbing on the site of what later became stabbing
Airfield but they could have lived at Great Sailing before then.

Mum tells me that her dad Walter Thorogood lived opposite
Stabbing school, unfortunately mum did not know that when we
Lived there for about a year when I was about ten and went to school
There.

Thanks for your help.
Gwen

gwenythgreen

Valued Member
Hi Ben

I am not sure but I do know Nellie was born on a smallholding
Just outside Stabbing on the site of what later became stabbing
Airfield but they could have lived at Great Sailing before then.

Mum tells me that her dad Walter Thorogood lived opposite
Stabbing school, unfortunately mum did not know that when we
Lived there for about a year when I was about ten and went to school
There.

Thanks for your help.
Gwen
Sorry folks but predictive text on my mobile changed the spelling, it should be
STEBBING ESSEX.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Gwenyth

A Thomas Chapman married in the Dunmow district of Essex in the December Quarter of 1900 and on the same page is a Sarah Ann Reeve ref 4a 1371.

I just looked on the 1911 census and living in the household in the 1911 census is a Sarah Ann Chapman born about 1877, aged 34, and by using the "other household members" feature, a Nellie Chapman is living with her in the Dunmow district. It looks like that when the full 1911 census household can be viewed, that Nellie's parents were Thomas and Sarah Anne Chapman.

I also typed in the number of years 34 year old Sarah Anne was married by 1911 and it says she married in about 1900.

That 1901 census entry for Thomas and Sarah looks like your Nellie's parents.

Ben

gwenythgreen

Valued Member
Hi Gwenyth

A Thomas Chapman married in the Dunmow district of Essex in the December Quarter of 1900 and on the same page is a Sarah Ann Reeve ref 4a 1371.

I just looked on the 1911 census and living in the household in the 1911 census is a Sarah Ann Chapman born about 1877, aged 34, and by using the "other household members" feature, a Nellie Chapman is living with her in the Dunmow district. It looks like that when the full 1911 census household can be viewed, that Nellie's parents were Thomas and Sarah Anne Chapman.

I also typed in the number of years 34 year old Sarah Anne was married by 1911 and it says she married in about 1900.

Ben
Thankyou Ben

That sounds right and I am sure that I heard the name reeve in the distant past
Of my childhood. It is strange when you here things as an adult childhood memories
Come back.

I will be so happy on Friday when I get my pc on line and I can look at the trees on Ancestry
That Steve talks about.

Thank you for your help.

Gwen

gwenythgreen

Valued Member
Hi Gwenyth

Ben
Thankyou Ben

That sounds right and I am sure that I heard the name reeve in the distant past
Of my childhood. It is strange when you here things as an adult childhood memories
Come back.

I will be so happy on Friday when I get my pc on line and I can look at the trees on Ancestry
That Steve talks about.

Thank you for your help.

Gwen

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Gwenyth

This must confirm your suspicions then. I am sure that you have the right couple. I have many Essex ancestors from Saling, Dunmow and Witham areas so we may be related.

My Essex names are Clift, Cornwell, Livermore, Hawkes, and many more.

Ben

gwenythgreen

Valued Member
Hi Gwenyth

This must confirm your suspicions then. I am sure that you have the right couple. I have many Essex ancestors from Saling, Dunmow and Witham areas so we may be related.

My Essex names are Clift, Cornwell, Livermore, Hawkes, and many more.

Ben
Hi Ben

That do say its a small world so it would be great to find some living relies Graham ,my other half and I are both only children.

Grandma and Granddad used to live at Boarded Barns Sailing and then when Granddad died in 1959 Grandma moved to Black chapel

If you tell me who your relies were in Sailing I will ask mum if any names ring a bell.

Incidentally I went to school in Dunmow when I was 6 and uncle vic lived at the registry office (he was caretaker there)

Gwen

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Ben

That do say its a small world so it would be great to find some living relies Graham ,my other half and I are both only children.

Grandma and Granddad used to live at Boarded Barns Sailing and then when Granddad died in 1959 Grandma moved to Black chapel

If you tell me who your relies were in Sailing I will ask mum if any names ring a bell.

Incidentally I went to school in Dunmow when I was 6 and uncle vic lived at the registry office (he was caretaker there)

Gwen
Hi Gwen,
So now you've 'dunroamin' you have also 'dunmowing'.:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Steve.:)

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Gwenyth

My Saling interest is Hawkes. Elizabeth Hawkes born in 1819 daughter of Levi and Elizabeth Hawkes. Levi died in 1838 but have not yet sent for the cert. He was a carpenter.

Ben

gwenythgreen

Valued Member
Hi Gwenyth

My Saling interest is Hawkes. Elizabeth Hawkes born in 1819 daughter of Levi and Elizabeth Hawkes. Levi died in 1838 but have not yet sent for the cert. He was a carpenter.

Ben
Hi Ben

Mum wasn't born until 1937 but you never know if any of the Hawkes descendants
Still lived there. I will ask her at the weekend.

Good luck with your research, you really do make those names real people!

Gwen