• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Nettleton,Wilts. Ward/Marsh families.

I am trying to find descendents of Martha Ann and Alfred William Ward, he was a farmer in Nettleton.Martha was b.1850 in Lincs. Alfred was her cousin they had 3 children. Also descendents of Anna Maria, Martha's sister who md. Thomas Marsh a farmer in Nettleton, they had 7 children. One of their daughters md Fred.Carrier, one md. Alfred Cradock I think. The youngest md her cousin Frank Gale of Notts.

I would be grateful for any info.

Ronny.

nainmaddie

Loyal Member
Hi Ronny
It is easier to go backwards rather than forwards. I am trying to do the same, and it is hardwork going through the BMD just looking for surnames and not knowing the children's christian names.
You can always hope that someone else see the above message and knows the answer.
good luck

Nainmaddie

Hi, yes it's easy up to a point, but these families used the same names over and over again,plus they inter md. quite a bit.It's not always easy to know if you have the right people when their names are common and you've no idea how much they moved around. The Wiltshire branch is a recent discovery and there are few people to ask as one tends to be less interested when one is young and the older people are still around. I am hoping to find a living relative with some info. and the icing on the cake would be old photos.

Regards,
Ronny.:)

leefer

Loyal Member
http://ourwardfamily.com/

Hi Ronny..dont live far from Nettleton...as you know wWard is a common name....my advise would be to ring any Wards in Nettlton or Chippenham area...chances are they are related or knew your farmer as he had a big farm and people working for him...look in the phonebook,i will be amazed if you find a Ward in Nettleton and they arnt related...this site may help..regards to you Lee.

Hi, they lived in Nettleton, Wilts. Samuel Ward b. 1790s Notts. moved there, he had a wife Mary and a son Alfred who md. Esther Beaven. Their son Alfred Wm. md. his cousin from Notts. and went back to Wilts. Her sister md. Thomas Marsh, she must have known him because of her sister's mge. and lived there too. Samuel had two other sons I think, Arthur Beaven Ward and Walter Beaven Ward.

Ronny.

Thanks for your continued help. I have Manor farm for the Ward family from a census return and Priory farm for the Marsh family. I,m trying to gather all the info. I can from the remaining older generation and then I must get down to some letter writing / phoning.

Thanks for the offer, I'll let you know if I need you to look anything up fpr me. I have found someone on another site who is looking into the smae family, so have my fingers crossed.

All help is much appreciated,