• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Never make assumptions?

ptjw7

Loyal Member
This hobby (genealogy) never ceases to amaze me:confused:
I have just stumbled on another quirk of BMD records in that I always have assumed that the place of death would be where the record was recorded:oops:
Wrong - as it would appear it all depends on who registered the death which in this case must have been the army!
The person was an Ernest Frank Clarke who died on 17 Aug 1916 and listed as dying at home which should be Headington, Oxfordshire but no it is listed at Woolwich. :confused:
So I assume seeing as he 'died of wounds' it was down to the Army to actually register the death.
Long way around but I got there in the end:D

My maternal grandmother's older brother, died of his wounds in a Birmingham Hospital in 1919 but was still buried in the area of Leicestershire where the family lived. Woolwich should also give a clue as to the unit he served with. I agree, it is amazing what little bits of information crop up and can change previous facts though!