• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

New GRO search successes so far?

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Now that ages in the indexes before 1866 have been indexed and mothers maiden name before 1911 have been indexed, giving us better chance of getting the right certs either through the GRO post delivery or the new PDF system online. What are your successes so far?

I have found many children born between censuses I never knew existed and found children born to my ancestor John Stock's second wife which I never knew existed until the mmn's before 1911 were indexed.

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Found the outstanding child of my gt gt grandparents. 2 likely birth registrations
When looking on the GRO site one is not there and the other has no mothers maiden name. And still looking for the rest of the children that my gt grandad put on the 1911 census 11 born 1 alive, eventhough 2 were still alive and 2 had died. 7 to find.
😁

Ladybird1300

Loyal Member
Staff member
I've been to the website, but I don't know what you are searching???? I keep getting links taking me to the government website. Where does it say search??

Amanda

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Amanda,

Once your on the Gro site. Click on Order Certificates Online and Search the GRO Historic birth and death indexes. I've saved my login details I click on submit Click on Search the GRO Indexes that takes you to Search the Online
GRO Index.

stockpot

Valued Member
I didn't know about this so thanks.

I've been testing the site by searching for known events. The +- 2yr only seems quite restrictive but generally the site seemed to work well.

The only serious problem I found was when looking for a death of a one year old baby in 1911. It turned out she was indexed as 14 years old when in fact she was 14 months. This could be a common problem with babies if the number for the age is routinely index without reference to the word months/years.

Elaine

Last edited:

Guy

Valued Member
Website
freespace.virgin.net
I didn't know about this so thanks.

I've been testing the site by searching for known events. The +- 2yr only seems quite restrictive but generally the site seemed to work well.

The only serious problem I found was when looking for a death of a one year old baby in 1911. It turned out she was indexed as 14 years old when in fact she was 14 months. This could be a common problem with babies if the number for the age is routinely index without reference to the word months/years.

Elaine
Yes the age in days, weeks or months is returned as an age in years rather than the suggested on the GRO site 0 years.
The GRO have been notified of the problem.

Cheers
Guy

stockpot

Valued Member
Sorry, I'm confused. You seem to be saying that the cost of a pdf for a birth or death certificate is less than the £8 which will be charges for a marriage cert. but I can't find any reference to this on the GRO site.

All I can find is the charge of £9.25 which is the cost of a posted certificate.

It would be great if it were possible to get an emailed pdf for less than the current certificate cost.
Elaine

Guy

Valued Member
Website
freespace.virgin.net
The legislation that governs the fees charge for the production of PDFs (in these pilots and later ) is The Births, Deaths, Marriages and Civil Partnerships Records Regulations 2016. S.I. 980, 2016

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2016/980/contents/made

Fees
6.—(1) The fee for a request made for a copy of a record (in portable document format) which is
held in a digital format is—
(a) £6.00 for a record provided by standard service, or
(b) £45.00 for a record provided by expedited service.
(2) The fee for a request made for a copy of a record (in portable document format) which is
held in any other format is—
(a) £8.00 for a record provided by standard service, or
(b) £45.00 for a record provided by expedited service.
(3) In this regulation “a record” means a record of the information contained in the Registrar
General’s certified copies of entries in the birth register, the death register and the marriage
register and copies of entries in the conversion register and the civil partnership register(a).”

Cheers
Guy

stockpot

Valued Member
So pilot phase 1 ends today, just my luck!

This is not something I knew anything about, it would be great if people could post a message when phase 2 starts, £6 is a good reduction on the present cost of a certificate.
Thanks
Elaine

Guy

Valued Member
Website
freespace.virgin.net
So pilot phase 1 ends today, just my luck!

This is not something I knew anything about, it would be great if people could post a message when phase 2 starts, £6 is a good reduction on the present cost of a certificate.
Thanks
Elaine
I don't think you really want to order any from Pilot 2 they will cost £45 but you will get them in three hours!

Pilot 3 will cost £8 but these will be for records not yet digitised and I am not sure if it will be possible to order already digitised records as PDFs during this pilot.

Be safe order today

Cheers
Guy