• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

New member and 1st time research

jonah777

Hi all,
just joined today as a first time researcher into my family tree....i'm Paul by the way, I started looking into my fathers side of my family as he was a bit of a mystery man, so far I have found a fair bit of information about him but I am noticing descrepencies in the ages from different census returns and official documents, wedding certs, birth certs ect......the people stay the same as do the areas lived in, the relationships all stay the same but there are age differences by as much as 2 yrs in the census details, are the details in the census to be 100% relied upon or did people embroider the truth as it were?....this has me rather confused to be honest, and a little off putting when thinking of more research.......any info would be of great help, thanks in advance........Paul

sterico

Loyal Member
Hi,
Welcome to the F.H.U.K research forums,
We hope you have success in your research and please do not hesitate in asking us for help, all you need to do is select the appropriate forum, and post your question/s, with as much relevant information that you have in your possession, then our members will endeavour to find, or at least point you in the right direction of those answers.
You will find all our members helpful and very friendly and only to willing to help.
Best regards Sterico .

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Paul and welcome

It's not unusual for the ages to be out, as they were often rounded up/down.

You can have discrepancies of 5yrs on the various census, so I would not be too alarmed. As long as most of the other info matches up relatively closely, there it is not a problem.
I have had relatives give their place of birth in 3 different places on different census, but nearly all of the other details mached up. And the ages varied also.:D
Shout if you need help.

Steve.:)

jonah777

Hi Paul and welcome

It's not unusual for the ages to be out, as they were often rounded up/down.

You can have discrepancies of 5yrs on the various census, so I would not be too alarmed. As long as most of the other info matches up relatively closely, there it is not a problem.
I have had relatives give their place of birth in 3 different places on different census, but nearly all of the other details mached up. And the ages varied also.:D
Shout if you need help.

Thanks for the welcome and the advice Steve, much appreciated......now I know it's not just me with the age descrepancies I can crack on with searching.......this place looks a really good source of help and advice......thanks again ......Paul

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Thanks for the welcome and the advice Steve, much appreciated......now I know it's not just me with the age descrepancies I can crack on with searching.......this place looks a really good source of help and advice......thanks again ......Paul
Hi Paul,
Another mistake I used to make, was not looking at the original census pages. The transcribers can also make mistakes. I had a rellie put down as 10yrs but he was 1month.
Come back here if you have any probs.:)

jonah777

Hi Paul welcome

Another thing to consider is that people often did not know there exact ages !!
It was not as important then as nowadays, there were no old age pensions and things to worry about.

Hi,
thanks for the advice, it's all wecome.......I have run into a brick wall at the moment on my Fathers side, so frustrating at times but good fun all the same.....thanks again ..........Paul

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Good luck Paul...be patient...hope you get some results,regards Lee.[/QUOT

Thanks Lee,
Patience mmmmm, not one of my strong points......it's ike banging your head against a brick wall sometimes, still enjoyable though.........cheers........Paul
Paul,
I know what you mean. I want my rellies now, not tomorrow.:2fun::2fun:
But in the real world, you have no choice with your rellies.

Deep breathing exercises help.:biggrin: :biggrin: