• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

New Member Introduction

Hi, I am pleased to be accepted into this community. My name is Laura and I am residing in Sydney, Australia for nearly 6 years now and have just recently started collecting old, vintage, rare books. There is a rich supply of such books here in Sydney and I am thrilled. I have started my own blog based on my book collection and it helps me to destress from my hectic work life.
That is the main reason why I decided to join here as I have some books signed by the authors (English writers) dedicated to someone from the UK. I want to know who was that person and the association with the author. It's going to be very interesting for me to do the research into this hobby of mine as I might sell/auction my signed books once I have confirmation of it's authencity.
Reading and collecting books is a passion of mine and coming across such unique books gives me pleasure to do some in-depth reaserch.
Thank you for giving me this opportunity to do so!

welcome Laura, from one book collector to another...although mine aren't the valuable kind :(, I just collect books, mainly Aussie history.. :)Joan
Collecting books is based on your personal taste and interest. I love children books, especially the ones with beautiful illustrations. Continue with your collecting passion with books because I feel it's a rewarding hobby!:biggrin:

dochines

Valued Member
Welcome from another book addict, there are many thousands here in our home as well! You have a very interesting project. I have often brought second hand books only to find they were 19th century school prizes in scripture or something. I have a small collection of family bibles that have family trees in. These types of books need rescuing from charity shops and jumble sales and returning to their original owners descendants
There are also lovely dedications and inscriptions in many books as well as highly decorated ex libris stickers

I wish your project well and hope to learn more about what you find in due course.
Please ask any of us for help, if we possibly can we will do so

Welcome again

dochines in UK

Welcome from another book addict, there are many thousands here in our home as well! You have a very interesting project. I have often brought second hand books only to find they were 19th century school prizes in scripture or something. I have a small collection of family bibles that have family trees in. These types of books need rescuing from charity shops and jumble sales and returning to their original owners descendants
There are also lovely dedications and inscriptions in many books as well as highly decorated ex libris stickers

I wish your project well and hope to learn more about what you find in due course.
Please ask any of us for help, if we possibly can we will do so

Welcome again

dochines in UK
Thanks for your warm welome! Yes, I myself have some very old bibles in my collection and found one inscription dated 'Nov 13th 1898'. Seriously antique! My great book treasures came from charity shops and one of them signed by Enid Blyton. There are some book collectors who collect books pasted with the stamp(name) of the shop. The stamp with the Egyptian figure with the head of a vulture and body of a man is extremely collectible.
I will keep you posted and take up your offer of help when I desperately need it in my project.
Once again, thank you!!!:)