• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

new to all this

R

rainey

I am very new to family trees, and am trying to get info on how to find things,
the names I\'m looking for are
Rainey
Gaynor
Burley
Wilkes
I think all from Liverpool
thanks for any help you can give on where to start
being in Australia is a bit hard finding out any info
thanks

KeithS

Hi Rainey.

Welcome to the forum, it\'s good to have you with us.

I found it interesting that you are researching the name Gaynor. For a number of years, my next door neighbour was Gordon Gaynor. You never know, there might be a link there.

So, you have only just started into Family History Research. Well, it won\'t take long before you are well and truly hooked. It\'s addictive.

As well as being moderator here, I have my own Family History Research Support Forum and, on there, I have simple guidelines for people in your position. I am a great believer in keeping records manually, not on computer. I also believe that, to learn how to do it properly, you must learn the mechanics of the craft. This is best done using manual records. Obviously, you can keep computer records as well but, I feel that some of the finer points are learned only when you use pen and paper. My guidelines include a simple manual record keeping system. If you want, I could send them to you.

Another factor of course is that I live on Merseyside. The other side of the river to Liverpool. So, there might be the odd occasion when I could offer you some help or advice. Just ask and I will see what I can do for you.

Best wishes,
Keith. :)

p.s. Another interesting element I have only just noticed. Many years ago, I worked with a Bill Wilkes. He was the accounts department manager for the company I worked for.

Post edited by: KeithS, at: 2005/02/24 12:01

R

rainey

Thanks Keith
I appreciate any help at all and would love a copy of your guide to manual record keeping,
I didnt know any of granddads family so would be interested if your neighbour is part of my family
thanks again for your help
Rainey
Ann

admin

Loyal Member
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.familyhistory.uk.com
Hi Rainey,
Welcome also!

The manual system can be found on this forum - under Family History Chat Room, or click HERE

If you want information how to start - On the main menu (look left), click Genealogy FAQ, then New to Family History - or click HERE
There is loads of information here to start you off!
But we warn you, it is very addictive :x

Lets us know how you get on or if you need more help.
All the best,
Dave B)

Post edited by: admin, at: 2005/02/25 17:24

KeithS

Silly me!!

I posted that lot and forgot all about it. :rolleyes:

It is about 15 years ago that Mr Gaynor died. At that time, we were no longer neighbours, although we still knew each other. If I remember rightly, his full name was Gordon Martin Gaynor. Unfortunately, I have no real idea of his age, or where he came from. Although age-wise I would guess upper 60\'s to 70\'s.

He lived in Wallasey in the UK (just over the river from Liverpool) and, for some years, ran his own mini-coach service, called Martin\'s Motors. I don\'t know how many children he had, but I do know of two. The older boy lived away from home when they moved there - in Australia I think - and I don\'t remember his name. Although, he did return home about 1988 to 1990 (that\'s a guess. I did meet him a few times around that time). He then spent some time working in South Africa. It was the younger boy, Barry, I knew. I moved away from Wallasey, to live in North Wales, in 1978, returning to Wallasey 10 years later.

During my absence, Barry was killed in an accident on Liverpool docks. That would have been sometime between 1980 and 1985. He left 1 child, a daughter, Leonie. That is as much as I know about them, I\'m afraid.

As for Bill Wilkes. He was the office accountant for the Liverpool branch of a company called MacAndrews - a shipping company dealing between the UK and Spain. I know he was resident in Wallasey (again), because I gave him a lift home from work on more than one occasion. I left MacAndrews in 1974 and never had contact with him again. One thing I can say is that there is still a W. A. Wilkes listed in the local telephone directory. Whether this is the same person, I have no idea.

Keith.

KeithS

Help yourself, rainey. B)

That\'s exactly what it is there for. And, don\'t forget, if there is anything you are not sure of, just ask.

Cheers,
Keith.

Hi New to all this: I have a cousin who is named Ida Burley. She lives in Ontario Near Port Franks. I can give you some information on her and the family of Burleys that are in Canada if you wish. Hurdon