• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

New Year's Beginner

Good morning and happy new year :)

I am brand new to family history research but, for a new years resolution, I am finally making a concerted effort to trace my ancestory.
I live in Australia but all my family come from the UK.

I acquired 'Family Tree Maker (V11) software and have entered all the known details of of my immediate family, parents and grandparents.
I orginally believed (don't laugh) that I would then be able to simply import relevant genealogy information into my family tree to fill in the blanks, then print up and publish a comprehensive record of my family history :redface:

Clearly this is not the case and after discovering and perusing your valuable site, it seems that significantly more basic research is required. I have read your helpful response to Ann Mason who posted a similar request earlier in December however I would appreciate if you could answer a few other questions I have:

Is my software (Family Tree Maker) suitable for the research I want to do?

Are there any useful genealogical sites that I could access/suscribe to (most of the sites seem to be based on US genealogy sources and I am not sure how useful these would be for me)?

How useful are on-line genealogy resouces generally?

Can I access data from sources such as Census Data and Parish Registers etc on line?

I would also appreciate any other suggestions/tips you have for a rank beginner.

Sorry about all the questions - thank you in anticipation :-*

pee wee

Hi,

I'm glad you have asked your questions.I will be very interested to read the responses you get. I too am new to genealogy. I also live in Australia but was originally from England & seem to be finding all the same things as you.
I do know that this is not a cheap past time. There are not many records online after 1901 and most things relate to usa as you have found.
I wish you luck in your search.

Peta

dawnlea

Hi Guys!! :)
Welcome to the great big genealogy family!! I've been researching my family tree for about a year now and I am still wandering around in a fog! ::) A site that I have found useful (which incidentally is free) is Familysearch. It is run by the Mormon/Latter Day Saints and is fairly comprehensive. It is good for looking for your ancestors over here but I can't say for certain whether it will help with your antipodean forebears. All you can do is give it a whirl!!

Thanks for the information, dawnlea.
I am still hoping that someone out there will be able to answer my other questions - things seem a little slow at this time of the year!

admin

Loyal Member
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.familyhistory.uk.com
Hi oztraveller,

Is my software (Family Tree Maker) suitable for the research I want to do?
As Britannia said - Family Tree is a good program! Please remember though that any program just stores and presents your family tree information that YOU have Entered. Some programs will link to online databases, where in 99% of the time you will need to pay extra.

Are there any useful genealogical sites that I could access/suscribe to (most of the sites seem to be based on US genealogy sources and I am not sure how useful these would be for me)?
There may well be some online databases for YOU out there - but I would need to know what names and especially what areas /towns/ cities!
As you have already found out, there are a few online databases, but are only relevant to USA research. There are a few UK online databases coming on slowly, but some only have information for a particular area, such as London. There are a number of NAME sites - the information has been "gleaned" from collating the information already on the net or from people uploading their own family tree information to a site.

How useful are on-line genealogy resouces generally?
If you do find any UK sites, ensure you read what databases they are offering! AND let us know here :)

Can I access data from sources such as Census Data and Parish Registers etc on line?
There are a few sites. The LDS familysearch has a few good databases, though be aware that some have information added by people that made a number of mistakes! But it is great for the 1881 census!
Whatever you find on the net, please use it as a reference tool and get the original documents. Do NOT enter this type of information into your family tree program - UNTIL it is confirmed.
Free BMD This is an ONGOING project transcribing Birth, Marriages and Death records. It does NOT have all records transcribed as yet! So if you do not find your ancestors - don't worry! You can also help transcribing.

I would also appreciate any other suggestions/tips you have for a rank beginner.
Be patient - you will not find the information overnight! OR on the net!
start here!
Start with your parents and grandparents - get all the certificates - Birth, marriage and Death (if relevant) and use the information from those certificates.
If your family comes from an area locally - visit the local county records office or local library. They have loads and loads of information that will never get onto the net. Try Famillia Site -lists of the County Record Offices and local study libraries.
Genuki is a great site to find relevant information listed by country and county, with lots of information.
I hope that gives you something to go on! :) If you find any good ones - come back and let us know :)

I have sore fingers now - all the best,
Dave

:)
Thanks very much Dave for your most comprehensive reply to my post!

I think that pretty much puts things in perspective and I now have a much clearer idea of the way ahead.

Doubtless I shall be back with further questions in due course but at least I can now make a start on my quest.

Thanks also to Dave (Britannia) for your endorsement of my software package!

Best regards