• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

New Year's Beginner

Good morning and happy new year :)

I am brand new to family history research but, for a new years resolution, I am finally making a concerted effort to trace my ancestory.
I live in Australia but all my family come from the UK.

I acquired 'Family Tree Maker (V11) software and have entered all the known details of of my immediate family, parents and grandparents.
I orginally believed (don't laugh) that I would then be able to simply import relevant genealogy information into my family tree to fill in the blanks, then print up and publish a comprehensive record of my family history :redface:

Clearly this is not the case and after discovering and perusing your valuable site, it seems that significantly more basic research is required. I have read your helpful response to Ann Mason who posted a similar request earlier in December however I would appreciate if you could answer a few other questions I have:

Is my software (Family Tree Maker) suitable for the research I want to do?

Are there any useful genealogical sites that I could access/suscribe to (most of the sites seem to be based on US genealogy sources and I am not sure how useful these would be for me)?

How useful are on-line genealogy resouces generally?

Can I access data from sources such as Census Data and Parish Registers etc on line?

I would also appreciate any other suggestions/tips you have for a rank beginner.

Sorry about all the questions - thank you in anticipation :-*