• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

New Zealand sites?

duckweed

Loyal Member
I've been given some notes made by my husbands great aunt before she died. In it she says that Nellie Storer (born 1872 Leicestershire) married a Henry Peach and lived in New Zealand and had 2 children Mary and Dorothy.
I can't find a marriage that matches in England so I assume they married in New Zealand. How do I find out things in New Zealand?

Smee

Hi Duckweed.

I can do a look up for you, not a problem. Do you have any dates of possible marriage and or birth of the daughters. We have good records at our local library.

If any dates great if not i will look at 1872 onwards for marriage etc. Do you know where they may of lived in New Zealand?

Ok look forward to hearing from you.

Smee

duckweed

Loyal Member
Fraid I haven't got anymore info. There was a suggestion she was a lady's maid so may have gone there before she was 21. However most of her family were in teaching or white collar jobs.

Smee

Hi

Ok will take the information supplied and will go look in the library and send you and possible relevant details.

Will get back to you sometime next week, have a good week

Smee:D

Smee

Hi duckweed

I went to the library today and this is what i have found, not sure if any of it will be any good yet, though i am still searching for things.

I have a marraige for Henry Peach in 1892 New Zealand (somewhere) what i haven't found yet is the corresponing wife as the records are rather faint on those fiche. Will try again.

I also found a marriage for an Ellen Storer for 1893 and she married a Horace James Pick, not found a Nellie Storer yet. I have not found any children either, though i will be going into the library again during our school hols for a better search (more time)

In Ancestry i thought you may like to know that i found a birth for a Horace James Pick in 1867 in Market Harborough, Leicestershire.

I will also look at ships for you as i can, pity that no port is available or year, though i have been there and broken down a wall before.

Is their any different ways of spelling Storer?

Well i hope this might help a little, might just spark something you already have or have heard from family.

Will get back in touch again in couple of weeks.

Smee:D

Nellie was the sister of my husbands Great Grandmother. Her sister Mabel Chisholme Storer who was born in Bedfordshire in 1875 married Henry Jamieson Thompson in Derby in 1902. The information came from Henry Thompson's daughter Lorna Thompson who died in 1996. The surname is commonly mispelt as Stoner. Nellies mother was a teacher as was several aunts a brother and 2 sisters. Her father was a customs and excise clerk as well as a farmer. The Storer family were mainly farmers but there were several clerks too. So I imagine Nellie would be quite well educated.

Smee

Hi Duckweed

Well i have searched through the marriages over a dozen years, from Nellie been abt 16yrs and older. I still have Ellen Storer married to Mr Pick, i know that Ellen is another name for Nellie.

However i have found the wife of Henry Peach. As i said he married in 1892 and his wife's name was Jane Anderson Thomson. Thier marriage number was 32671, sorry no area or date available.

Unless Nellie married Henry at a much later date as a 2nd wife i still don't yet know.

I am not sure if you are aware that women in New Zealand were the first women to get the vote in the world. So on my next free day (school hols here at present) i will get back to the library and look at the electrol roll and see if his wife is on there and if by any chance he had a 2nd wife or not. This will take time as i have no area to work on, except through possible children.

I also found some children though not sure if this would make sense either. Again these are the only ones with the correct names. Mary Frances Peach born in 1894 in Auckland, North Island, New Zealand and then i also have Dorothy Edith Peach born in 1899 at Mount Gery, Canterbury, South Island, New Zealand.

Will get back to you soon.

Smee:biggrin:

Thanks for all this. The only other information I have which may or may not help is that a sister emigrated to New South Wales. I wonder if Nellie went to Australia first or her sister came with her to New Zealand or other members of the family. Nellies sister in Australia was Margaret Storer born 1881 Brewood Staffordshire and married a Robert Davis in 1916 in McLean District NSW Australia. Other sisters are Clara born 1871 Wymondham Leicestershire, Eliza Alicia born 1872 Brewood Staffordshire, Frances Mary E born 1873 Wymondham, Leicestershire, Alice born 1878 Brewood Staffordshire. I haven't traced them yet. There were brothers but I have traced all of them in Britain.

Smee

Hi Duckweed

I will look up your Margaret Storer for Australia, it isn't a problem, we have great records here for that, i will also check them out for children etc.

Good luck

Oh i will try and send you a private message with my email address so that you can contact me if you wish, i sometimes find that easier.

Smee:)