• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Newspapers.

jay

From
England
Hello everyone, just thought I'd share with you how useful I have found the British Newspaper Archives to be. I found many snippets of information about my great-grandparents and also found the date of 2xgreat-grandparents wedding in 1835 because they very thoughtfully put it in a local paper in celebration of. This same notice gave me the name of the bride's father which took me back another generation.

The articles have enabled me to have a glimpse into their lives, everday activities and a court case which my grt-grandparents pursued against a member of the aristocracy who was coal-mining under their land ( they lost ).

Researching: Bowden; Stretton; Hopley; Barker and Wolliscroft.

Good that you have found out so much......the National Archives are an incredible supply about everyday life in every village,town or city in the UK.

I can spend hours reading them.....it dosn't need to be family history either....just history.

Good luck on any other research you do.

I understand that the subscription for th British National Newspaper Archive is soom to be included in FMP subsriptions. If you subscribe to FMP, might be worth a wait rather than have two subcriptions. The Australian newspapers on Trove are also excellent sources.
dochines

Last edited:
Just back from a week in the National Archives. Could have spent a year there. Never even got to the newspapers. But got lots of help and now have copies of original documents as well as a new mystery to solve about militias in early to mid 1800's. I'll post about them later.
Cheers!

Back