• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Newton Tills

Edward

Valued Member
Hi,

In 1793 Newton Tills was Mayor of Colchester Essex the only other thing I know about him was that his son was John Newton Tills.

I have him shown on the family tree drawn up by my Grandfather hand copied by my farther with out his Christian Name I Found that from the list of mayors of Colchester which also gave me the date he was mayor.

His occupation I have as surgeon.

His son was trained as a surgeon in Colchester then moved to London was a wine merchant and later was an Accountant died in 1833

His son was John Tills a Wine merchant in London. he married Harriot Harris on 19 JUN 1822 at Saint Leonards, Shoreditch

I would love to know more about this family but haven't been able to find Births Marriages or Deaths for them.

Any suggestions of where I should look would be welcome as well as any information about them.

Many Thanks:)

Ed

Edward

Valued Member
Children of John Tills and Harriet Harris b 1794

Sarah Ann Tills b 1823
Jane Martha Tills b 1824
Alfred Tills b 1826
Ann Tills b 1828
Mary Tills b 1830

I am still trying to find more information about John Tills I suspect that he died prior to 1851 as Harriet is shown as the head of the household in the census

Any information welcome :)

Many Thanks

Ed

diane

Dear Ed--

I am researching my grandmother's family and found that her uncle was Newton Noble Tills was born in Windsor, Berkshire in 1838. His parents were John Tills (born in St. Osyth, Essex around 1810) and Caroline (born in Brightlingsea, Essex in 1812). They emigrated to Canada via the United States with 6 of their 7 children in 1854. John Tills was a veterinary surgeon.

The coincidence of the name Newton and his father's occupation leads me to wonder if there is a connection with Mayor Newton Tills of Colchester and with your John Tills who was a surgeon. I've been finding that children were often named after relatives and that it wasn't uncommon to have nephews and nieces named after their uncles or aunts. Any leads would be appreciated!

--Diane

Darryl

Hello Ed and Diane...

Diane...

Our family (Tills) here in Buffalo, NY (USA) goes back to the 1850's with the last known desendent named William Tills (my great-great grandfather) who married Sarah Dennis. I went to the cemetery today and found Sarah's grave which was erected by her son Robert. She was born in 1850 and died in 1916.(I took a picture of the monument) According to Forest Lawn Cemetery records, there was also an infant buried on top of her in 1923. (maybe from Robert?) William's grave I have not found yet. According to the cemetery, he is not buried in Forest Lawn.

William and Sarah had 7 children. William Jr., Warren (my great grandfather), Herbert, Robert, Stella, Carrie and Evelyn?

According to our records, William's daughter Stella Tills married James Maher. (date unknown) According to our records, they had 5 children and 2 grandchildren with the Maher name.

Maher Children - Lawrence (w-Sally), James Jr. (w-Ruth), Clarence (w-Sophie), Mildred (no record of husband) and Vivian (no record of husband).

Maher Grandchildren from James Jr. - James III and Carol.

I have a pdf with our research.

Ed...

I am trying to find out "when" and "if" William emigrated with his parents are "where" they emigrated to. We are thinking it was between 1845-1855 when William was approx. 5 years old, however we are not exactly sure if William actually emigrated or if he was born in Canada or the USA. We are currently checking the Ellis Island Registry for more information. If you know, I would like to find out "who" his parents were and how many brothers and sisters he possibly had. Any history as to any occupations and/or personalities would be greatly appreciated.

When my dad was alive, he mentioned that he and other family members were working on our ancestory. According to what he had found, our family had a gggggg? grandfather that married into Royalty, but died a pauper. (date unknown) According to my dad, the Tills Family has a Coat of Arms or a Family Crest which is now in a Castle (which is now a muesum) in England or Scotland. I would love to find out if this is true.

I would also love to find how far back I could go with the Tills surname. Any links or info you could share would be terrific! Thanks. Darryl. (age 50)

Edward

Valued Member
Hi Darryl,

welcome to the site.

Currently I don't have any information about the tills that emigrated to the US.

Alfred Tills B 1826 Moved from London to Yorkshire (Hull) and was a News Agent.

His children I have records for were
Richard Alfred B 1860
Charles William B 1862

Ann Tills B 1828 Married Joseph Slade

Let me know if you find any connections.

Thanks

lizanne

I think that his Christian name was Newton.
When I checked the IGI for Colchester there are a couple of Newton Tills one with a father called Newton Tills.

Darryl

Dear Ed--

I am researching my grandmother's family and found that her uncle was Newton Noble Tills was born in Windsor, Berkshire in 1838. His parents were John Tills (born in St. Osyth, Essex around 1810) and Caroline (born in Brightlingsea, Essex in 1812). They emigrated to Canada via the United States with 6 of their 7 children in 1854. John Tills was a veterinary surgeon.

The coincidence of the name Newton and his father's occupation leads me to wonder if there is a connection with Mayor Newton Tills of Colchester and with your John Tills who was a surgeon. I've been finding that children were often named after relatives and that it wasn't uncommon to have nephews and nieces named after their uncles or aunts. Any leads would be appreciated!

--Diane
Hi Diane,

My name is Darryl Tills (Buffalo NY). I was waiting for your reply on Family History UK Community Forums. Hope to hear from you soon. q1stman@yahoo

Edward

Valued Member
Hi,

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=22017

This link shows the Mayors of Colchester in which can be found Newton Tills I don't know where the information about him being one of my ancestors came from but it was collected by my Grand farther I think from his father. That says that he was Mayor twice but he only appears once in the list.

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/QUAKER-ROOTS/1998-02/0887980743

This link is a list of Quakers in Colchester and includes the name Newton Tills it would be facinating to know if it is the same one!

Unfortunatly the listing does not give any date as to the name!

Ed

Edward

Valued Member
Hi,

I Have also just found this family which contains a Mary Tills also living in Colchester:-

http://listsearches.rootsweb.com/th/read/SPARLING/2001-03/0986103688

William Sparling bn 1763 at Little Clacton, Essex - married 9 Dec. 1790
to Mary Tills born 21 July 1770 at St Osyth. William ,a solicitor in
Colchester, Essex, died 1816and their children

- Mary Elizabeth Sparling bn 1794
- Ann Sparling born 1798 ( died 1824)
- William Henry Draper Sparling bn 1801 (died 1809)
- John Tills Sparling bn 1803 (died 1809)
- Philip Smith Sparling bn 1804
- Jane Agnes Sparling bn 1807
- Hart Draper Sparling bn 1812

Ed