• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Non Conformist

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
I have my first non conformist baptism, and all it gave was name and date of 1st Feb 1762. No parents named.

The list contains baptisms from 1762 - 1763, and no parents named for any of them.

BUT, the photocopy of the 'original', seems not to be so. There are a list of names that appear to be all written/copied at the same time, by the same hand. Not sure when, but it was at a time of quills and ink, I would guess.

Has anyone else had dealings with non conformist baptism records, and information given in them.

View attachment 3140

Steve.:)

Last edited:

Ellie7

Loyal Member
I have Non Conformists in East Yorkshire. The early ones around your time I found going through all parishes listed in HughWallis,for East Yorkshire. Most of the c1800 are now on Ancestry. They are RC so I have the Godparents, which funny enough are sometimes down as the parents on Ancestry. I have a Joseph Salvidge marrying a Frances Caley at Nunkeeling 22 Aug.1770 ,he's from Marton in Holderness ,she I believe is from West Newton. Lucky for me I found East Yorkshire Archives has a Will---Title Will of George Caley of Barker Garth parish Swine farmer (pp.193-194) Date 26 Jan 1773 Description Bequests: sons George and John Caley; daughter Frances wife of Joseph Salvidge; grand-daughter Mary Salvidge
Property: Bewholme; money
To be buried in "Martin burying place near wife Margaret"
Witnesses: James Taylor, William Caley, Samuel Wilkinson.
AccessStatus Open

Ellie

Ellie7

Loyal Member
Youv'e got me started:) must come from this lot.Bewholme mentioned again.
John
Last name
Caley
Year
Date
7 May 1695
Place
Bewholme
County
Yorkshire
Country
England
Court
York Prerogative & Exchequer Courts
Court detail
Exchequer Court of York (Holderness)
Additional information
Bewholme, Yorkshire

Document type
Will
Edit-must see what EYArchives says about these wills I am now finding.Not sure whether to thank you Steve.

Ellie

Ladybird1300

Loyal Member
Staff member
Yes I have a few in London's east end, they were Huguenot Protestant but fortuneately the French kept very good records, so parents and god parents are often recorded.
I've sometimes looked at Quaker and baptist records again they have a lot of information recorded. For one Quaker wedding and I noticed the whole congregation signed the register for a wedding I was looking at :eek:

Amanda

emeltee

Loyal Member
I've got a few noncons as well and I have found, as with parish registers, the info varies depending upon the minister writing the info. Some have nothing at all, just name and date, whilst others give parents, sometimes grandparents somtimes the mother's maiden name. Some of the Welsh ones even give the parishes the parents originated from. I think it's just the luck of the draw.

Emeltee

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
I have some Wesleyan Methodist in my tree. The recorded information varies greatly from parish to parish. Some name the mother's parents also which is very handy.

Transcription:

Owen Turner
Birth Date: 17 Oct 1828
Event Type: Baptism
Father: Charles Turner
Mother: Mary Waters
Baptism Date: 19 Dec 1828
Baptism Place: Sussex, England
Denomination: Wesleyan
Piece Title: Piece 2967: Lewes Circuit, Wesleyan Chapel, St Mary's Lane, 1824-1837

Image:

No. 118 - Owen the Son of Charles Furner of Ashdown Forest in the Parish of Maresfield in the County of Sussex and of Mary, his wife, who was the daughter of James and Mary Waters, was born on the Seventeenth day of October, in the year of our Lord, one thousand eight hundred and twenty-eight, And was solemnly baptised with water, in the name of the Father, of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, on the Nineteenth day of December in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and twenty-eight by me [signed] Jno. Geden.