• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Non workhouse paupers

Website
www.learningzone.biz
I have found an entry whilst browsing the 1851 census for Salford Priors, Warks, where the occupation is given as 'Pauper' and 'Paupers wife' (James & Rachel Wallace & family Emma, Enoch, Ellen & George) - this is not connected to my own research but I wondered if this would just mean that they were unemployed and being supported by the parish?

Thanks.

Website
www.learningzone.biz
Hi Julie - for some reason I can't see your post to this thread, as per the email?

However, thanks for the workhouse link - but this family were not in a union workhouse, but listed in the census along with other residents in the village. This is why I wondered why they were classified as paupers. Any idea?

Joy

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Joy,

If they were not in the workhouse then they would be relying on the charity of the parish, this could be down to a number of things, lack of work some sort of injury, so you were right in your first thread.

duckweed

Loyal Member
I don't know of your area, but in Sheffield where work fluctuated they found it better to support the unemployed at home so they could be available for work immediately so they were supported by the workhouse but not in it. Otherwise known as on the Parish.