• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Noob looking for ancestors

Stuio

hi, I stumbled across this site as i am trying to trace family members from S.Ireland County Clare/Kilrush area,
My grandfather (John Austin) died in the 1940's at an early age of about 35.. with 12 children my Granmother (Kathleen Austin) died 1981(ish), half of them then moved over to London in the 50's with only 7 coming over. The others i have never seen or heard of
This is what im basing my search on as you can see i havent got very far

I just wondered what would be the best way to start looking without having to pay large subscriptions to main websites..

Kindest Regards

Stuart

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Stuart and welcome

Contact all your known living relatives and gather as much info from them as possible, no matter how trivial. Copy any BMD certs and details that they may have.
Get copies of old photo's, postcards, letters. And don't forget to take note of any details that maybe on the back of any photo's. Including those that are in frames.
In other words, get as much family history from your living rellies.

This will only cost you a few pounds, and it will be priceless in the future for reference.

Ask questions about family. Ask those awkward questions but with great care.

Put your queries in the relevent forums on this site, with as much info as you have. And I'm sure you will get the help that you need.

You still might have to spend a few quid though.:biggrin:

Steve.:)