• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Northampton Post Office in WW2

In my family were a nearly complete set of newsletters - Northampton News.
Published monthly from 1942 to 1945 to keep ex staff in the services in touch with staff and families at home, they consist mainly of edited letters from servicemen and women connected by their Post Office background.
Before donating the papers to the British Postal Museum and Archive, I scanned, indexed and researched them and contacted surviving letter writers or families of those who have passed away.
This project took 6 months or so and is all on line at
https://sites.google.com/site/northamptonnews/
In the course of the project I added photos of a number of the writers and then tracked down a leather bound album of photos compiled by the Head Postmaster. All are available on line along with an interactive index.
It amazed me that a relatively small cohort of workers should be spread all over the world in such a variety of roles. Some where present at momentous events. Some were highly decorated. Some were POWs and a number were killed or wounded.
There is alot of humour and mundane stuff but also some quite dramatic and moving content in the letters. A Post Office manager and his wife who managed to produce the newsletter with a few volunteers, in their own time, despite paper shortages, illness etc, made a huge contribution to maintaining morale of the service personnel and their families - they had monthly socials for the families too - and perhaps didn't get the recognition they deserved.
The index has about 280 names and is easily searched should anyone here have family from Northampton.