• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Novice searching for Mabel Astley

Hi All

I'm a complete novice and would appreciate any help searching for Mabel Astley. All I have to go on is my father's birth certificate 1937, Stockport ud which only has her name, Occupation, address, no father. My father was an orphan never had any contact.

Any help or advice would really be appreciated

Sheryl Astley

sterico

Loyal Member
Hi,
Welcome to the F.H.U.K research forums,
We hope you have success in your research and please do not hesitate in asking us for help, all you need to do is select the appropriate forum, and post your question/s, with as much relevant information that you have in your possession, then our members will endeavour to find, or at least point you in the right direction of those answers.
You will find all our members helpful and very friendly and only to willing to help.
Best regards Sterico .

hi, had a look but to many with same name to go thro all of them.do you know at least where she was born or even the area and is astley her married name or maiden name,any little bit of info can help.suex

Hi Susan

All I have is registration district - Stockport
She was a domestic servant in residence at 8 Queensway, Heald Green. Unfortunately very little information to go on.

Sheryl

hi, i was in the same position as you as an adopted kid, all i had was a name, and an old address in hull where i was born,believe it or not i did track my father down,took me a while,and a lot of determination,so just keep trying,you say her son was an orphan is there no records relating to that.also try to estimate her date of birth from when he was born,will help you narrow it down a bit date wise.will have another look at the place heald green see if anything comes up.suex

hiya.heald green on queensway in now cheadle in cheshire,had a look this morning and tried to narrow down her date of birth,if your dad was born 1937, i looked from 1900 to 1937 ,but very little came up and none for cheshire.that doesnt mean anything though could have moved around. if no fathers name that means usually that she was not married,was your dad christened, could try the records for the local churches in that area,also if he was an orphan was he brought up by family members or adopted in which case social services would hold a record and you can request to see them. also try deaths for that area,as you say he was an orphan do you mean she died after he was born or she just gave him up for adoption. keep me posted and will see what i can do.suex

me again,just a thought, on a birth certif the place or address is where the birth took place ,for instance my mam was not married and i was born in my nannas house so that is listed as place of birth , i have a friend who had her baby in a convent home and again that is listed as place of birth,so if stockport was your dads place of birth, and 8 queensway chances are that is probs the address he was born. we had this question on the forum a little while ago and it seems this is generally the case.just noticed you live in hull ,i was born there many moons ago in dansom lane, witham ,the house i was born in is demolished now.suex.

Hi Sue

Thank you for looking for me. The address where my father was born is 26 Poplar Grove which I found was Stepping Hill Hospital. I think my father went into foster care, I think he had 3 foster parents and the last couple may have adopted him. If they did how do I go about contacting Social Services to find out any info? I couldn't find any Mabel Astley's in Chesire either, but did find a

Mabel Astley 1901 born in Whitechurch, Shropshire (60 miles away)
Mabel Astley 1907 born in Wellington, Shropshire (70 miles away)
Mabel Astley 1915 born in Berresford,Brentwood (200 miles away)
Mabel Astley 1918 born in Dudley (87 miles away)

I did check the Electrol register for 1937 for 8 Queensway, Heald Green but she wasn't on it, but did interstingly found 3 residents one a James Edmond Christian - James being my dad's middle name.

Small world isn't it, I don't actually live in Hull I'm 22 miles away but heard of Damsom Lane. Any advice for further areas to search. Sherylx:kissu: