• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Nurses Registry

Hi Steve

The UK Nurses Register started in 1916.

If you knew where they had trained you might be able to trace them through their training hospital.

Not sure if you would be able to access the UK Nurses Register ? I don't even know my own number, but I expect it is up in the attic !! I must go up and sort out the papers. I have no excuses as I have stairs to it.

Maddie

Hi Steve

You are taxing my brain !!
I think they started being accepted late 60's, 70's in London. Not sure when in the provinces. I suspect it would have been later.

Maddie

Hi Steve

I have just read an article about male nurses. It might have been later than the70's in London. There were male nurses before that. Some might have joined up North somewhere but they were called Nurses.

I do remember some Orthopaedic male nurses training 1970-1980

Maddie

leefer

Loyal Member

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
http://www.rlhleagueofnurses.org.uk/Hospital_History/Reminiscences/Reflections/reflections.html

Interesting to see on this reflection Steve...1959/60...this nurse felt that male nurses hadnt oficially established themselfs...certainly in the US i think they were accepted in 1954 in the military anyway...its strange though Steve because it must be one of the few profesions ware men probably feel inferior to the female nurses....
In a lot of ways, I suppose it still is.
The few times as a child, that I was in hospital, the ward sisters and some of the nurses were fearsome. Hattie Jaques comes to mind. And most of the oderleys were male, built like pipe cleaners. But that is a childhood memory.
No insults intended to anyone.:)
The legacy of Florence Nightingale and such like ladies, must have been a bit of a hard act to follow for men.
My ex. was a staff nurse, and so was my niece. And Hattie Jaques still comes to mind, as neither of them were particularly 'slim'.
But the nursing was done with efficiency and great compasion, and the doctors did not rule the roost, so to speak.

Steve.:)

gibbo

Loyal Member
It's amazing how little info there is on male nurses before WW2. There must have been some somewhere.
Where's Maddie when you need her.:)

Steve.:)
There was a male nurse in ICU when i was in there. He was the only male nurse at that hospital at the time. He was a good nurse and i have always remembered him.

gibbo

Hi Steve

At 1.30am I am in bed fast asleep !!

There were male orderlies or helpers in the Forces during and before WW2, but I do not think they were called nurses unless they had done their training. I know that the Army, and I suspect the Navy trained their own staff, I will try and phone a friend.

She was Chief Naval Nursing Officer !! She is also interested in Family history. I will try and call her

Maddie

Hi Steve

Well, after a lengthy phone call, we were able to sort some of your questions . Sadly my friend's computer is down at the moment, and her friend a naval archivist was not available.

The first naval male nurses so to speak were the loblolly boys who were the assisant to the surgeon on board around 1597.

In 1883 they had sick berth attendants.

From about 1900 they started training their own nurses .

They had medical assistants who also served on board instead of always having a surgeon on board.
One has just been awarded an M.C for her bravery

That is it for now !!

Maddie