• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Obscure Divorce (?)

ral91

Valued Member
Hi all,

I made a thread yesterday concerning Susannah Doe's death but she is proving very difficult to find. I'mnow going down the divorce route. Her husband, Henry Greenwood, had at least one child with another woman while married to Susannah and I'm trying to find out exactly how many.

So I'm trying to either find a death or a divorce for Henry Greenwood and Susannah Doe (Greenwood), but as I am completely clueless about divorces and have never had any experience with these records, I'd really appreciate some help from the experts :)

Other than that this 'saga' took place in East London, I'm not sure what info is needed for looking up divorces so just let me know and I'll post what I know:)

Thanks,
Ryan

Last edited:

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Ryan,

Have you considered bigamy.

Divorces were very hard to achieve in those days, and I wouldn't have a clue where to look for any records of those.

If you have him on census, he would show as married I would think, to the women he was living with even if they were not married. (Possibly. )? ?

Steve.:)

ral91

Valued Member
Hi Steve,

Yes, it had crossed my mind, but it would mean very odd behaviour coming from those concerned. There is over 20 years between the birth of the first illegitimate child, and their marriage; with lots more illigetimate children in between. There's also a missing bit to Henry Greenwood, can't remember off the top of my head but there's one census when he can't be found.

Perhaps it's one of those things that will never be solved.

Ryan

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Steve,

Yes, it had crossed my mind, but it would mean very odd behaviour coming from those concerned. There is over 20 years between the birth of the first illegitimate child, and their marriage; with lots more illigetimate children in between. There's also a missing bit to Henry Greenwood, can't remember off the top of my head but there's one census when he can't be found.

Perhaps it's one of those things that will never be solved.

Ryan
Try and find that missing census piece for him, it might hold the clue.

Shipping records, prison, criminal courts.......the list goes on.

No doubt you've tried all that.

Steve.:)

ral91

Valued Member
Well, with the impression that's forming in my mind of this so many greats grandfather of mine, prison records may not be far off the mark! :rolleyes:

I think you're right, the missing piece is where to search first, at least.

Ryan