• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Obtaining UK Service Records

ronmanley

Hi All

To obtain service Records for a family member is relatively easy these days.
You need to complete a request form for the service he/she was in and a Kinship Form.

It is helpful if you already have details of his/her rank, service number, date of Birth, date of death (if the person died whilst in service).

Before requesting information you are advised to carry out searches from sources that provide access to the details of deceased Service personnel at no cost, such as the Commonwealth War Graves Commission (CWGC) or the Armed Forces Memorial, Roll of Honour. The main function of the CWGC is to mark, record and maintain the graves, and places of commemoration of Commonwealth military service members who died in the two World Wars.

The important thing is that you need to be the nearest next of kin of that person, if not you will need a letter of authority from that person giving you permission to obtain these records on their behalf.

There is a charge of normally £30 non refundable. The administration fee of £30 will be waived for requests from those who were the spouse or civil partner of the subject at the time of death.

All these details can be found at
http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/A...cations/PersonnelPublications/ServiceRecords/

This is the main Ministry of Defence site and covers all UK services.

Best Regards - Ron

ianto73

Valued Member
I'm not sure where I got this from, but there is also a very long queue to get the information - possibly as long as 6-9 months, such is the interest these days.

Brian

Ben

Well i seemed to get a much faster reply and records for my late father-in-law?

Took just over two weeks to get my first reply stating they had received my request and a little more than another week to get his service records. It might be that i did give them a copy of his birth/death certificates/ His service number rankoccupation in the army. year enlisted.
So i think the more info you give the chances are possibly better of a quick turn round? but may also of been the luck of the draw?

ianto73

Valued Member
Ben you could be right, and well done, there are always those that will complain about length of time etc - but as an ex-trained army clerk, I totally endorse the more info given the better your chances.

Brian