• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Off to yet another Archive

duckweed

Loyal Member
I'm off to the Borthwick Archive today at York to look for records of Prebendary Blythes Basically several of the Blythes were given livings from several parishes without ever doing any work there and probably never set foot in the parish.

Kings and important members of government did not pay their clerks wages, they awarded them several parishes, the prebendary then appointed a clergyman to look after the parish (probably at very low rate of pay but with a house). The higher up the clerk the more parishes he collected from. The clerk was even ordained.

Robert Blythe although he was ordained and the Abbot of Thorney Abbey was made Bishop of Down and Connor and never saw Ireland.

Of course under this system you could have some pretty awful clergy. I read there was one who was complained against who besides being illiterate, was running the local pub and appeared to be sleeping with several women of the parish.

Anyway I'm off to look at this new super-dooper archive. There were 3 other archives I wanted to visit but looks like thats my lot for the summer holidays as schools back next week. Have to wait till half term for the out of town ones.