• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Old Street Names in Seghill , Northumberland.

I am looking for the address as to where my grandfather was born, on the 1871 Census, it is listed as Flat Top'd Row. Does anyone know how to search for old street maps of this area in the UK please. Jst hoping that the original house is still standing. Regards to all from Australia

horse

Loyal Member
This shows a map and includes Flat Top Row.. HERE You'll need to scroll down a little..

Geoff

EDIT: I should have added where it used to be..

Last edited:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello and welcome to the Forum.

The old Post Office Buildings in Seghill used to stand at the eastern end of Flat Top Row, between Northcott Gardens and the Wheatsheaf public house, on the southern side of the Seghill-Cramlington Colliery railway line.

They were basically a group of terraced cottages, all virtually identical, built of local sandstone with slate roofs,one of which was used as the Post Office. No bathrooms, no inside toilets, no running hot water, no electricity either. But I never heard anyone complaining.

Some background of conditions in early Seghill - HERE

Last edited: