• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Older immigrants.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi

I have found that quite a lot of people emigrated at an advanced age. And many of them were widows or widowers going out to join relatives or friends who had emigrated years earlier.

My 3xgreat grandfather emigrated aged 58. When he was 72 in 1900 one of his neighbours in the 1900 US census was aged 66 and his year of immigration was 1899 so he was a newbie to the States. So he was about 65 when he emigrated and he had grown up children with him.

Someone on another site said her great, great grandfather emigrated in 1922 aged 70, yes 70. He went to join children who had emigrated years before similar to my ancestor.

Age never held back people emigrating and I suppose many wanted to live longer or even get more work. Or they wanted to enjoy their last years abroad.

Ben