• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

One for Benny 1982

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Ben,

This has got me thinking. I have a 3 x gt gran who was in Islinton in 1871 but died in Bath Somerset in 1874. The death certificate says wife of John but 3 x gt grandad was Philip, I assuming this was an error as ther informant wasnt family she died in the Royal Hospital.

1841, 51 the family lived in Walcott Somerset in between those years they travelled to Kent, Islington. I cant find them in 1861, 3xgt grt grandad died in 1866 Islington, Ann is on the 1871 census in Islington. Why would a widow aged 64 travel back down to Somerset? Any idea. :)

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Julie

Was Ann born in Somerset?

It could be that she simply wanted to return to her home county. Does the death cert say how long she was ill for? She might have been ill for a while and wanted to return to Somerset to die. She might have wanted to return to where her relatives were.

Ben

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Ben,

1851 pob Bermonsdey, 1871 pob Old Road Mdx, which she didnt live far from. In 1851 her occupation is hawker. I did think perhaps family, I've lost one married daughter she dosnt show up anywhere. The death certificate dosnt give anything away only what she died of, she didnt have a terminal illness it was caused by a cut on ther arm.

Kerrymac

Hi Julie,
Just an idea, but maybe your 3xgrt gran travelled back to Somerset for the work or money, Bath was a very rich city then and a good place to ply her hawking of goods trade.She may have possibly worked her way there, not sure, but is Sommerset and Kent, cider and hops country and they would need pickers in season. She may have been following a seasonal family tradition. Many families did this, working in several areas of country over many generations and maintained long lasting relationships with the places.It sometimes throws up an odd relative where you least expect them, with no-one else there and no understanding as to how they got there.As for her age, that wouldn't have stopped her, hawking was a tough outdoor trade so she would be pretty hardy and strong.Interesting that she died from a cut, which was probably blood poisoning, but that may have been through work and being constantly on the move. I bet she had a great character personality.:) Best of luck ;) kerrymac

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Kerrymac and Leefer,

I have been looking under her maiden name for any rellies, found some with the same surname in Walcott/Lansdown/Bath but at the moment just name chasing.

She was Ann Parker, born abt 1810 Bermondsey as per 1851 census/Old Road Middx as per 1871 census. Married in 1827 St James Clerkenwell to Philip Cubbage/Cubbidge, this is the only family in Somerset on the censuses with that name.