• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

OPC's

Hi There,
This is my first go at posting a thread as I only joined yesterday. I am trying to find OPC,s for Leicestershire,Buckinghamshire, and Surrey. Can anyone tell me if the above name places have such sites. I have Googled but nothing has turned up. I have been lucky with Devon and Cornwall OPCs but not with the other locations.
Regards Marion in OZ:)

spanglecat

Re: OPC,s

Hi Marion
If you try www.rootsweb.com then click on their web links about half way down the page you will see England, if you click on there then you will get a list of English counties. I think I have memorised that correctly. Good Luck!!
Ann

Hi Marion
If you try www.rootsweb.com then click on their web links about half way down the page you will see England, if you click on there then you will get a list of English counties. I think I have memorised that correctly. Good Luck!!
Ann

Hello Ann,
I am still trying to find my way around this site as theres lots to learn.
Thankyou for you reply but I have checked rootsweb out and nothing for the locations I need. I did find Cornwall and Devon and made contact with the OPC for that area who was so very very kind and helped me a great deal. Ann as I am not sure where my Great Great Grandmother was born in England and only have her name and her Fathers I am stumped where to go next but I do have a strong feeling they were both born in Loughborough Leicestershire and later moved Surrey way? I have also posted there names up on names wanted so maybe someone might be able to help? I can only live in hope as I have been waiting three years to find something possitive. Before I go Ann I will just add that my Great Great Grandmother cannot be found in either the 1851/61 Census. She died in 1864 under her married name of McClelland aged 34 years. Thankyou once again Ann
Regards Marion

Hawkeye

Hi Marion and Ann,
I am an OPC myself - for Aspull in Lancashire.
I'm a member of the Lancashire OPC group at www.lan-opc.org uk.
However, you are looking for other OPCs?
The on-line parish clerks projects provide a focus for the transcription of historical records at parish level. There are projects for the following counties:

Cornwall
Cumberland & Westmorland (seems to be currently unavailable)
Devon
Dorset
Hampshire
Lancashire
Somerset
Sussex
Warwickshire
Wiltshire

Taken from http://www.genuki.org.uk/indexes/OPC.html

So, it looks like Leicestershire, Buckinghamshire and Surrey aren't currently on the OPC bandwagon.

Hope this helps.

Hawkeye.

Hi There Hawkeye and thankyou. Can you send me the link for the OPC,s at Devon as well as Hampshire.

Kind Regards Marion

Hi Marion and Ann,
I am an OPC myself - for Aspull in Lancashire.
I'm a member of the Lancashire OPC group at www.lan-opc.org uk.
However, you are looking for other OPCs?
The on-line parish clerks projects provide a focus for the transcription of historical records at parish level. There are projects for the following counties:

Cornwall
Cumberland & Westmorland (seems to be currently unavailable)
Devon
Dorset
Hampshire
Lancashire
Somerset
Sussex
Warwickshire
Wiltshire

Taken from http://www.genuki.org.uk/indexes/OPC.html

So, it looks like Leicestershire, Buckinghamshire and Surrey aren't currently on the OPC bandwagon.

Hope this helps.

Hawkeye.

Hi Marion,

Post what details you have.

Julie
Hi Julie,

I have just learned about my G Grandmothers Grave and where she is burried in Woolwich. Very very sad indeed as she is in a Paupers Grave and the last of seven to go in for the same grave. Made me cry. Anyway I need help with her Birth or Baptism as she must be out there somewhere. I have paid for searches but nothing. She was born in 1862 Hilsea Portsmouth.
Her Father Robert McClelland was Royal Artillery and was so meticulus at Reg his daughters births, All the little girls even the ones that did not survive long after birth were all Reg but not my G Grandmother as she is the only one I cannot find. Her name was Caroline Elizabeth McClelland but she loved to change her name as in some Census you will find her as Elizabeth.

For 1871/1881 she is Caroline down with sister Agnes then Harriett. With the two girls is their Step Mother Ellen born in Oxfordshire and Father Robert being born in Ireland. In 1891 Caroline has married to William Whitehead born 1861 Cork Ireland. In the Census they are living in Woolwich and you can find them with thier daughters. Edith who was my Nan,Florence,Maria.
Hope this helps. Thankyou

myroots

As a 'newbie' who is not yet au fait with all the acronyms terms etc used in family research, do we have on this site or does anyone know where i could obtain a list of commonly used abbreviations - so i can better understand some of the posts please?

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member

See what you mean not found her so far on the bmd. Possible she's been missed off the GRO index. When did her parents marry? has she got her mothers name?

My gt gt grandparents lived in Plumstead and are buried at Plumstead Cemetry. Small world.

Julie

See what you mean not found her so far on the bmd. Possible she's been missed off the GRO index. When did her parents marry? has she got her mothers name?

My gt gt grandparents lived in Plumstead and are buried at Plumstead Cemetry. Small world.

Julie
Julie her parents married in 1852 Greenwich. Robert McClelland to Harriett Ackley daughter of Thomas. I cant even find anything on Harriett either in any census to 1864 when poor Harriett died. 1841/51/61 Nought. four years of searching and nothing to show for Caroline or her Mother Harriett. If only I lived in England.

Marion

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member

Hi Maron,

Not found her birth yet. Have been looking on the census, on the 1901 theres a family living in Woolwich could be them, but someone has made a pigs ear of it, found Florence working as a servant working in Reigate Surrey, nothing for Maria. Theres a Edith born abt 1890 Woolwich but she is down as niece but there is a woman Sarah Archard down as mother, William is down as mother in law, Eliza is down as head but only aged 19. Do you want the details.

Julie

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member

Hi Marion,

Still going round in circles with this. Dont know if this is anything but there is a Harriett Ackeray age 49 born Holborn Middlesex in the union Workhouse at Greenwich, county Kent, registration district Greenwich, sub reg dist Greenwich East. Could it be mistaken for the same name? could she be Harriett's mother? but nothing on the census for Harriett well nothing I can tie in with.
Julie

Do you have Robert and Harrietts marriage certificate if so what age is she and also who are the witness's, they could be relations.

Julie
Hello There Julie,
I will try and answer everything for you in this email. You found my Nan,s sister Florence working as a Servant and the Archard family with Eliza as Head is where my Nan and her sisters went to live when their Mother Caroline died. Eliza Archard was married to my G Grandfathers brother David Whitehead. Eliza further on did remarry as David Whitehead past away but I dont know who she married. Well in a way I do but its picking Mr. Right. My Nan did have another sister Louisa Georgina Whitehead who can be found in the 1901 Census staying with my G Grandfathers sister Maria and her husband. They must have taken Louisa in as a baby when my G Grandmother died. Regarding Robert and Harriett it does give her place of Residence on their Wedding Cert as Woolwich but saying that it also gives the same for Robert. Harriett was born in 1830 so she would have been 22 years when they married in 1852. Their Witnesses were William and Winifred Ross. Maybe the lady you found in the Workhouse could be a connection?

Thankyou for your help

Hi Marion,

Still going round in circles with this. Dont know if this is anything but there is a Harriett Ackeray age 49 born Holborn Middlesex in the union Workhouse at Greenwich, county Kent, registration district Greenwich, sub reg dist Greenwich East. Could it be mistaken for the same name? could she be Harriett's mother? but nothing on the census for Harriett well nothing I can tie in with.
Julie
Julie I,m really interested in this one for the Union Workhouse in Greenwich. Hmmm? There is a Harriett Ackley to be found in the 1841 Census with a little girl aged 9 years with the surname of Hershey. They are staying with a family by the name of Boughton. The Boughton,s were Stock Brokers and Mrs Broughton was once a Harriett Ackley born in Loughborough. I have tried to investigate this one along with another family member but this is a real hard search for Ackley. If this Harriett Ackley staying with the Boughtons was indeed my GG Grandmother they must have treated her like Cinderella as Harriett was down as a Servant and age wise this one being about 5 years older. Can you find anything more on the Harriett Ackeray?

Many Many Thanks Julie

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member

Hi Marion,

1851 census

Civil parish Camberwell

Mary Ann Ackley niece age 12 born Bethnel Green Middx
Harriett Boughton age 61
Jane Boughton granddaughter age 6
Thomas Boughton Head age 76