• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Oswald Joass

Mystery solved thanks to this forum and Gibbo.

Oswald Richard Drumgold Joass born 1902 was rumoured by my family members that he might have been adopted/fostered.

Confirmation on birth certificate he was Adopted by Lucy and Alfred Joass.

Oswald's birth was originally recorded by Mother Elizabeth Jane {AKA Jane Elizabeth} Cunningham. A second birth reg cert was issued to reflect the Joass's as Adoptive parents

Oswald's father Percy Richard Drumgold died of Enteric fever during Boer war at or about the time of his son's birth, it was probably planned to get married when he came home from Boer war, however Elizabeth was left with the load to carry when when he died.

When Elizabeth's parents & family learnt of their daughters pregnancy they disowned Elizabeth and it was left up to her with no choice but to adopt Oswald out to family friends of Percy Drumgold which were Lucy and Alfred Joass.

Thank you fhuk and Gibbo.

Steve Graham

Last edited:

gibbo

Loyal Member
Got to say it was one interesting birth cert. Oz. I have never seen one like that concerning fostering/adopting before. A insight into fostering/adoption in the early 1900's.
The lodgement for the "new" birth cert was dated 1915 and with him been born 1902 i wonder if the Joass's had him from birth and decided to make it offical then or if something happened to the natural mother in 1915 and the Joass's then stepped in.

Got to say it was one interesting birth cert. Oz. I have never seen one like that concerning fostering/adopting before. A insight into fostering/adoption in the early 1900's.
The lodgement for the "new" birth cert was dated 1915 and with him been born 1902 i wonder if the Joass's had him from birth and decided to make it offical then or if something happened to the natural mother in 1915 and the Joass's then stepped in.
First off info i have just been told that Elizabeth kept Oswald for first two years and then gave him up when she was about to marry William Cook, in those days men would not raise other mens children when taking on a new spouse. William was Percy's best mate and said he would look after Elizabeth when Percy died from fever, he did do that by marrying her, but didn't want to raise his best mates child, what a rat!

I have also been told that the Joass's were friends with both both Cunningham and Drumgold family's, maybe they were instrumental in ringing Elizabeth and Percy together and felt obligated in raising child.

I think there might be more to this mystery and maybe it will all come out in time.

Oz

gibbo

Loyal Member
First off info i have just been told that Elizabeth kept Oswald for first two years and then gave him up when she was about to marry William Cook, in those days men would not raise other mens children when taking on a new spouse. William was Percy's best mate and said he would look after Elizabeth when Percy died from fever, he did do that by marrying her, but didn't want to raise his best mates child, what a rat!

I have also been told that the Joass's were friends with both both Cunningham and Drumgold family's, maybe they were instrumental in ringing Elizabeth and Percy together and felt obligated in raising child.

I think there might be more to this mystery and maybe it will all come out in time.

Oz

I wonder if Oswald's first birth cert. would give anything up:confused: If there could be notes on it as well.