• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Our unknown athlete

JMR

Valued Member
hi All,

I was looking up the FA archives for information for someone else today when another name took my attention. Those who know me roll their eyes when I mention my greatest passion, the England Football Team, closely followed by Burnley FC, I'm especially partial to number 7s, Willie Morgan, Robbie Blake, David Beckham etc, to name a few. Anyway to move it along, it was a chap named Francis Pawson, who caught my eye.

My cousin and I have been bashing our head against our particular brick wall for a long time now and it is just not crumbling at all. We have a photo that we have named our "unknown athlete", we have no information about him and no way of identifying him at all. As none of our immediate family were particularly sporty we had put him aside, but keep puzzling about where he fits in. We have Pawson's in our family line and I am wondering if this might have been kept because he was a high profile person and connected to the family.

Could this be Francis Pawson do you think, it seems he was born in Sheffiled Yorkshire, which adds up? Would the date fit? He won 2 caps for England:

1 24 Feb 1883 England 7 v 0 Ireland scored 1 goal

2 28 Feb 1885 England 4 v 0 Ireland

Any help guesses etc gratefully accepted on this one! And he played in the number 7 jersey!

Cheers,
Jill

Attachments

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi JMR,

Looking at the England AFC site,

Francis William Pawson position unknown, dob unknown, caps 2, goals 1,
clubs when capped (Cambridge University Swifts)
debut unknown.

Francis appears on the 1881 census as Cambridge undergraduate, born abt 1862 Sheffield, in 1891 he a clerk holy orders and in 1901 he is a clergyman church of England. Francis W Pawson died in 1921 district Ecclesall Bierlow.

1871 he is with parents Henry occ printer and stationer and mother Maria, plus siblings.

Birth registered

District Ecclesall Bierlow
Apr/May/June 1/4

Marriage

District St George Hanover Square

Bride Sophie Macke Bishop

Oct/Nov/Dec 1/4

Havnt been able to find an image for him.

Last edited:

JMR

Valued Member
Hi Julie,

Thanks for that information! I can't at this time track him back to my family of Pawson's because we don't know really who our Mary Ann Pawson born in Green Hammerton 1829 really is. We do know from her wedding certificate that her father was John Pawson, Farmer and she married William Holmes. here's another mystery, William doesn't appear on any of the census with his family and yet she is listed as head and married. She had 3 children the eldest was Betsey Holmes who died age 34. Mary Ann Ward, Mother was present at her death and yet we can't find a death for William Holmes or a remarriage for Mary Ann to a Ward. Other census data before her marriage don't make sense ie there are no real clues as to who she is because all the pieces of information aren't present for us to be sure and therefore we are unable to order a birth certificate.

This photo is definitely of someone related to our family because his looks are not unlike my Grandad's, who was the most nonathletic man who ever lived! I am sure that he must have been significant, for generations to have kept his photo. I had it dated at late 1800s a few months ago and that he was in his 20s.

I have scoured the internet for a picture of the 1883/5 team, but there isn't one. I emailed the FA yesterday, so if they reply I'll let you know how I go.

Thanks for the URL of the 1899 team, I think he only ever played 2 games for England, but he also served on the FA committee. Still I would love a pic of the 1899 team for my archives!

Cheers, :biggrin:
Jill

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Jill,

Was there anything photographers name, logo on the back. He does look very athletic especially the leg muscles, his pose looks like he's about to begin a race!

Just wondering if Cambridge University may have something in their archives
a picture perhaps.

:)

leefer

Loyal Member
http://www.englandstats.com/playerreport.php?pid=738

Looks like he was a man of the cloth!!
Its got the date at the bottom of this link...the year he was ordained..a very interesting fella...should imagine you might get more joy looking at church records etc...i noticed on another link that he passed away aged 60.

Regards Lee.

PS also note that some records are Frank...but his name was Francis,,good luck.

leefer

Loyal Member
So it looks like the Reverands daughter got married to a Taylor...they had a son born in 1940 called Tim Brooke Taylor....one of the Goodies!

Sorry to take the thread over but i like researching footballers and this has been very interesting for me...i wont say any more.

JMR

Valued Member
Hi Julie,

Thanks for this info. I'm at work at the moment, but will get the census references for you tonight.

Cheers,
Jill

Leefer, thanks for your contribution, please feel welcome to add anything you like. i really need all the help I can get on this one! i will read the link when I get home from work. I love researching footballers as well!!!

Cheers,
Jill

JMR

Valued Member
Hi Julie,

Here is the census data for Mary Ann Holmes, nee Pawson born 1829 in Green Hammerton:
I can only verify the data on the 1861 census as her.

13 September 1851 Mary Ann Pawson marries William Holmes born 1831 in Bradford Parish Church. Witnesses were William Holmes and Ephraim Smith both tracked on the 1861 census as parish clerks.

Mary Ann's Father listed as John Pawson, Farmer
William Holmes father listed as Edward Holmes born 1871 sawyer.

1861 census Mary Ann is listed as Head and married. She is there with:
Betsey born 1852 (my Gt Gt Grandmother)
Joseph b 1857
Mary Ann b.1860
There are no birth listings for either Betsey or Joseph. We have a birth certificate for Mary Ann, with Mother, Mary Ann Holmes formerly Pawson and William Holmes, Father.

We can't find Mary Ann before her marriage or after the 1861 census and there doesn't seem to be a listing of a remarriage to someone named Ward. William Holmes can be found on the 1841 & 1851 censuses, but doesn't appear on any census after his marriage.

Betsey Holdsworth, nee Holmes died in 1886, Mother, Mary Ann Ward was present at the death.

This family has been frustrating us for a year or more. It would be great to have a fresh pair of eyes on it!

Cheers,
Jill

JMR

Valued Member
Hi Jill,

Was there anything photographers name, logo on the back. He does look very athletic especially the leg muscles, his pose looks like he's about to begin a race!

Just wondering if Cambridge University may have something in their archives
a picture perhaps.

:)
My cousin has the original photo. It's a tin type and doesn't have anything on the back - no clues at all.

leefer

Loyal Member
Jill..Think Mr Pawson was related to someone to do with the Printing firm Pawson and Brailsford who were Sheffields biggest printers at the time and in fact one of Britains biggest.Obviousl him being at Cambridge means he was well in.When you get round to it the Ancestry site under the church records web site there is plenty of reference to him.
At the time of his England caps Footy was in its infancy and your picture looks like he was involved in other Sports as well..probably running and rowing.

JMR

Valued Member
Hi leefer,

He is definitely in running gear in this photo isn't he. My cousin made the point this morning that to go to Cambridge would have meant he was a person of means and that most of our associated family lines were working class and worked in the mills in Bradford. Mary Ann's father was a farmer though, not sure what that means in terms of wealth!

I just think that this fellow does look like he could have been a "Cambridge lad". His muscles are quite bulky. I know an olympic gold medalist who runs and the muscles seem to be longer and more slender. This chap obviously runs, but the bulky muscles seem to suggest football as well and yes rowing, which I hadn't thought of. He may be just a distant relative who they were proud of.

Thanks for your help, I'll check out Ancestry next.

Cheers,
Jill

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Jill,

Could be William Holmes in 1851

Civil parish Bradford
RD Bradford
Sub RD Bradford West End

Edward Holmes head age 59 occ sawyer born Wakefield
Mary Ann wife age 59 born Walton
William son age 19 occ labourer/cart driver? born Bradford
Charles son age 14 mechanics app born Bradford
Judith Jordan lodger
John Smith lodger
Maria Smith lodger

JMR

Valued Member
Yes I believe that is William. Found at home on the census until he got married, then once he gets married, he's never to be found again!

I wonder what on earth was going on????

My cousin is going to contact the FA office in Preston to see what she can find out about Francis Pawson and if there might be a picture of him in their archives. I'm in Australia, which limits me to searching the Internet, I'm afraid.

Cheers,
Jill

leefer

Loyal Member
http://www.englandfootballonline.com/TeamPlyrsBios/PlayersP/BioPawsonFW.html

Hope you like this Jill!

On this link read beyond England...seems Frank left the North for Battersea London and eventually went to Bexhill on Sea on the South coast...must have seemed like heaven compared to Sheffield and London....probably ware he braught his family up...also interestingly it seems he wasnt happywith his age on the official census and that he was born a year later.
Anyway hope ime not detracting from yours and Julies efforts on your other quests....Lee.

PS he also played for Corintheans who were the first great team in England!