• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Our unknown athlete

JMR

hi All,

I was looking up the FA archives for information for someone else today when another name took my attention. Those who know me roll their eyes when I mention my greatest passion, the England Football Team, closely followed by Burnley FC, I'm especially partial to number 7s, Willie Morgan, Robbie Blake, David Beckham etc, to name a few. Anyway to move it along, it was a chap named Francis Pawson, who caught my eye.

My cousin and I have been bashing our head against our particular brick wall for a long time now and it is just not crumbling at all. We have a photo that we have named our "unknown athlete", we have no information about him and no way of identifying him at all. As none of our immediate family were particularly sporty we had put him aside, but keep puzzling about where he fits in. We have Pawson's in our family line and I am wondering if this might have been kept because he was a high profile person and connected to the family.

Could this be Francis Pawson do you think, it seems he was born in Sheffiled Yorkshire, which adds up? Would the date fit? He won 2 caps for England:

1 24 Feb 1883 England 7 v 0 Ireland scored 1 goal

2 28 Feb 1885 England 4 v 0 Ireland

Any help guesses etc gratefully accepted on this one! And he played in the number 7 jersey!

Cheers,
Jill

Attachments

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Births 14
DaveHam9 Marriages 10
Ladybird1300 Old Photo's 0
DaveHam9 Marriages 10