• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Paldings/Paullings of Norfolk.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
I recently got back further on my ancestor Rebecca Palding. She wed Robert Harbord in 1727 at St Simon & St Jude, Norwich, Norfolk. Rebecca was born in 1704 in Nowich, baptised at st Simon & St Jude daughter of William a basketmaker. Other siblings mention mothers name of Rebecca. William wed Rebecca Harper at St Simon & St Jude in 1689. Rebecca Harper was born in 1665 in Norwich to Thomas Harper.

Now, Palding is a surname that is quite rare but has many variants. Palding, Paulling, Palden, Pawldyn, Pawldyng etc. The only likely baptism found is of William Paulling in 1666 at St Andrew, Norwich, son of Wm and Elizabeth, St Andrew is a 2 or 3 minute walk from St Simon & St Jude. I am still thinking "Shall I claim him"?

My William had a son Christopher born 1690 who died in infancy and another son Christopher born 1707. Other children outside Rebecca and the 2 Christopher's was Thomas, William, Mary. A Christopher Paulling was sent to Norwich in 1645 from Hickling as an apprentice. And a Chris Paulling wed in 1661 in Norwich.

Lots of conjecture here. A Christopher Palling was baptised in Potter Heigham in 1628 son of Simon. He had a brother William born 1632 but I found the oh so inconvenient burial in 1632 of a William, no age given though. After that Simon seems to vanish from Potter Heigham. Maybe he moved to Hickling. Maybe they had another son William. I live in hope. The William Paulling born in 1666 son of William in Norwich had a older sister Sarah born 1662 so the William Snr was born by at least 1640-1643ish.