• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Palmer's causing me a headache!!

From
England
I have just returned to researching my family tree after a break of about 4yrs and decided that since in that time my nan has passed away to concentrate on her lines. So over the last few days I have decided to review the work I did previously on the line and oops I made a BIG error on the line and now need to redo however after spending hrs on the computer I have hit a stumbling block or two and hope you guys can help me.

The gentleman (my gg grandfather) where I went wrong is a William Henry Palmer born approx 1863 in Bere Alston and I have an approx death of 1915 also in Bere Alston in Devon.

This is what I have been able to ascertain (I have also double and treble checked so this time I have the right guy :biggrin:

1881 census William is listed onboard HWMS Archilles aged 18
1891 census William is list living in Devonport with his wife Maria (formerly White) and 2yr old son aged 28
1901 census living with step father, mother, step brother and 3 of his children in bere Alston
1911 census living with second wife Emily, 6 children and a step son in Bere Alston.

After lots of checking and re-checking I know this time I have the right man as my gg grandfather but Im still struggling to find anything else on him.

I would like to get gro references for his birth, marriages (both) and also death, also I can not find the census for him for 1871. Im hoping once I ahve all this information I can get back to researching the next generation and maybe even give Maria White my gg grandmother some information as she is also drawing blanks for me.

Can anyone please help me :)

Thank you with your help I now have William's first and second marriages :) still trying to find his birth and death along with 1871 census and any information on Maria (1891 census said she was born Portlan, Dorset approx 1863).

Hi,

1871 - Civil parish Beer Ferris - RD Tavistock - Sub RD Buckland Monachorum?

John Pilmer (as transcribed) head age 38 occ miner born Inwardleigh?,Devon
Mary E wife age 37 born St Gennys, Cornwall?
Elizabeth A dau age 11
Emma dau age 9
William son age 7
John son age 5
Mary J dau age 3
Ellen dau age 1

Children all born Beer Ferris

Class RG10
Piece 2142
Folio 323
Page 37

death

Maria Palmer

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1862

Date of Registration:Oct-Nov-Dec 1899
Age at Death: 37

Registration district: Devonport
Inferred County: Devonshire

Volume: 5b
Page: 250

---------------------------
Maria White

1871 - RG10-2006-18-27
1881 - RG11-2107-121-31

Thank you Dave so much hopefully thanks to your wizardry and finding what I havent been able to I now have broken the back of my Palmer's :D Im going to have to have a guess with the birth but at least I know the mother so that may help!!

Thank you Gortonboy for the additional information which will be interesting to read as with all my direct line ancestors I try and gather as much as I can on them :)

Back