• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Parents of Archibald Henderson

jen2

Valued Member
Looking for parents of Archibald Henderson born Blyth 1841.
He married Mary Charlton 1868 Northumberland. They had the following children Sarah 1870, Jane 1877, Mary 1881, Harriett 1883, Thomas 1885, Alice 1887 and Isabella 1890.
I have found the family in the 1881, 1891, 1901 and 1911 Census stating Archibald's occupation as Coalminer.
I cannot find a Census for 1851, 1861 or 1871.

Jen

emeltee

Loyal Member
In the 1851 Census he is a lodger along with his father William, a coal miner born Benton 1817 and sister Annabella born 1842 Cramlington. His age is given as 11 therefore a birth year of 1840. The ref for the Census is HO107/2412/F336/p7

FreeBMD has a reference for the birth of an Archibald Henderson

June 1840 Tynemouth vol 25 page 392

The certificate will give his parents names.

Emeltee

Ladybird1300

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Jen

There is a baptism in 1842 on FMP, but my sub has run out so I can't take a look for you. But hopefully some one on the forum will be able to.

Amanda

emeltee

Loyal Member
Don't know if this is the right William or not but there is a marriage on the familysearch site for a William Henderson father Archibald to a Mary Reay father Matthew which took place in Christ Church Tynemouth in 1838.

FreeBMD gives the ref as June 1838 Tynemouth vol 25 page 438

Thought it might be of interest as the father's name is Archibald.

Emeltee

emeltee

Loyal Member
Hi Jen,

Presuming that I have the right Archibald Henderson in the 1911 Census living with daughter Isabella and her husband John, have you noticed that Archibald's son is also living with them. His name is given as Thomas REAY Henderson.

Emeltee

emeltee

Loyal Member
fFurther to my last post, I see that in 1881, 1891 and 1901 Archibald and his family are living in Cowpen Square, Cowpen. This is a few miles (if that) from Blyth.

FreeReg has a baptism on 26th April 1840 for an Archibald Henderson, father William, a Pitman and mother Mary. The abode is given as Cowpen Square. The baptism took place in St Mary the Virgin church in Horton. According to Genuki Horton is 2 miles NE of Cowpen.

Emeltee