• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

PASHBEE - Devon/Cornwall - 1841/51

brentor boy

Valued Member
Jane Bastian (widow) married George Gardener Pashbee (common sailor) on 17 Sep 1835 in Falmouth. Jane was born in Devon in 1808 and George was born in Falmouth in Jan 1810.

In a will, dated 1848, Jane is described as "wife of George Pashbee, mariner, of Devonport". In 1851 Jane is shown as a widow living in Totnes, and in 1852 she married George Gill in Totnes. I have identified Jane's parentage, and baptism, from the marriage certificate.

On an index of 1841 there is a Jane Pasbey, b c 1816, living in Falmouth, born "in county", which is the nearest, but poor, match I can find. On a "Pay to view" site I see there is a record of George's merchant Navy career, which I cannot access.

I would appreciate help in tracing Jane in 1841 (quite possibly George may have been at sea), and finding record of George's death prior to 1852. I realise that this could be anywhere - even at sea.

horse

Loyal Member
Hi

You may have seen this..

This may be his maiden voyage, also notable in the ship's company is a James Pashbee.

http://tinyurl.com/nclbcu3

Looks like his parents' marriage, St Anthony in Roseland.
02-Jan 1806 Samuel PASHBEE - bachelor - o t p mark
Sarah GARDNER - spinster - o t p mark - - Banns
Witnesses: Thos HALL ; Nicholas PIPER

I fear this may be one of those where you find everything but what you want!

Geoff

horse

Loyal Member
This is an interesting piece about Jane, but I don't fully understand it..

Quote:
In his will, John Cowling speaks only of his daughter, Elizabeth, which I take as confirmation of the identity of Mary and William, deceased.
His executrix is named as "my sister, Jane Pashbee" Jane Cowling/Bastian/Pashbee was born 1808. When she re-married in 1852, the marriage certificate shows her father as Robert, senior, confirming Robert, junior, and John as her siblings. End Quote.

This is the link, if you scroll down to Cowling..

http://tinyurl.com/qd6g9qg

Geoff

hlouisew

Hi.

I've been doing research for a family tree in Cornwall and a great website is http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/ - It is a completely free website and has helped me go as far back as the late 1500's for some family members. I don't know if it will help you find the 1841 census results, but it may help you in other ways

Best wishes

Hayley

brentor boy

Valued Member
Hi Geoff,

I have the details of the birth/baptism of George and his brother James, and the marriage of their parents. Also the record of their trip to Buenos Aries. I think I may have also traced Jane's first marriage to John Bastian.

The extract you quote was provided by me from my own research.

Hayley - I have made regular use of the Cornwall OPC site, and also rely on the on-line transcript of 1841 for Cornwall.

If she had been recorded correctly in 1841, Jane should have been shown as aged 32 (30 if rounded down) and born "in county" (in Devon) or "out of county" (in Cornwall). The Jane Pasbey I have found, aged 25, could have been rounded down from 29 (b c 1812). In 1851 Jane gave her age as 40 (b c 1811) which is an insignificant difference (even though she was actually born in 1808). I was hoping someone might check to see if there was any alternative entry, possibly in Devon, for me to consider.

If the evidence of the will is to be relied upon, the description of Jane as a "wife", rather than a "widow", implies that George was alive and living in Devonport in 1848: and, unless Jane was a naughty girl, he had died by the time she remarried in 1852.

I am aware that certain genealogy sites impose restrictions upon subscribers providing look-up services but I wonder if someone with access to the Merchant Navy record of George could answer the following questions. 1/ Does it give any clue as to where he might have been in 1841? (Yes/No) 2/ Are there entries covering the period 1848-52? (Yes/No) I am getting a little tired of paying to view records that contain nothing of relevance.

Thanks in anticipation,

Vic

horse

Loyal Member
Hi Vic

Thanks for clearing up those points..

They both continue to be elusive around the said dates.

The only slight chance from what I can see is the find for George Pashbee on the subscription site, unfortunately I don't subscribe to that one. Hopefully, someone with a subscription will see this and have a look. Having said that, I am sceptical, some of them don't give a list of their voyages, just meaningless reg. numbers and dates.

I can't see any alternative for Jane in 1841...

Geoff

brentor boy

Valued Member
Hi Geoff,

Thanks for taking the trouble to check 1841. With such an uncommon name in the Devon/Cornwall area few alternatives were thrown up and, despite the discrepancies, Jane Pasbey seemed the most likely. It's just that I do not like to ignore differences simply because they don't fit, and it's reassuring when someone with fresh eyes comes to the same conclusion.

As for George - I'll have to keep my fingers crossed.

Vic

horse

Loyal Member
Hi Vic

Not the best source, 'Family Search' but if correct it would show George was alive in 1845.

"United Kingdom, Merchant Navy Seamen Records, 1835-1941"
George Pashbee
Event Type: Military Service
Event Year Range: 1845-1854
Event Place: United Kingdom
Birthplace: CORNWALL
Birth Year: 1810
GS Film number: 1483114
Digital Folder Number: 004620357

From about 1835 records of individual seaman were maintained at the National Archives, they did it in 3 or 4 series under 'BT' i.e. Board of Trade, I could only get as far as BT 78, I think the following is what you need:

Quote, FS:
Series II included 1835. It was kept until 1844. It is divided into the actual tickets (BT 112) which is arranged in numerical order and the index to the tickets (BT 119). It continues from 1845 to 1854 with tickets (BT 113) and an alphabetical register (BT 114). Within this register M’, Mc, and Mac surnames may be filed under “M” or under the names. For example: MacDuff may be filed under “M” or under “D.” End Quote

Geoff

brentor boy

Valued Member
Hi Geoff,

I have now had a look at BT113 which records that George was issued with a Merchant Seaman's ticket in March 1847. He is shown as living in Devonport with previous Royal Navy service. All very interesting but giving no clue as to where or when he died.

I think this is about as far as I'm going to get with this one. I suspect the only place his death may be recorded is in some ship's log - but which ship?

brentor boy

Valued Member
Murray,

I have tried to PM you but not too sure how the system works. I shall be happy to correspond on open forum if that is easier.

Very pleased to read your post. Would welcome any information you have about George Pashbee. What was he doing in NZ?. If he was a member of a ship's crew, who would have arranged for his grave to be marked? I don't expect you to know but it is strange how the answer to one question often only poses more.

horse

Loyal Member
Hi Vic

Just had another look, I can't see anything in the NZ BMD, but there is this..

Maybe what Murray was referring to.

New Zealand, Cemetery Records, 1800-2007
Name: George Pashbee
Birth Date: abt 1809
Death Age: 41
Death Date: 3 Feb 1850
Burial Place: Wellington, New Zealand
Cemetery: Wgtn-Bolton St

Last edited:
I have been tracking George for about 15 years because the official record has his name as "Pashby" which is my name and George died a year before by ancestors arrived in New Zealand from Yorkshire. So I thought he was mine!

I only Googled "Pashbee" last week and up came this thread.

There is a book Cruise of the "Acheron" By Sheila Natusch. I meet Shelia and saw the crew list but George isn't on it and she new nothing of the death.

I also viewed the Captains log which is in the National Library of New Zealand and there is no mention of the death either. I have also seen his death certificate.

The diary of the doctor (Lyall) is in the Maritime Museum in the UK and may mention it - or the Chaplin's diary whoever he was.

The Acheron was an important Naval vessel in New Zealand history and just not long after George's death was involved in the rescue of a ship Inconstant which ran aground in Wellington harbour.

It took a dew visits to find the grave but I did find it and have photo's I could email to someone.

I'm gutted after 15 years t find he isn't mine but glad I may have help solve a family mystery for you.

Murray