• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Passenger Lists India to England

Agnes Louisa Gillingham
Birth year 1869
Birth date 11 Jul 1869
Baptism year 1869
Baptism date 27 Jul 1869
Place Trimulgherry
Presidency Madras
Father's first name(s) Robert Gillingham
Mother's first name(s) CatherineMother's last name -
Archive reference N-2-50
Folio 196Page -
Catalogue descriptions Parish register transcripts from the Presidency of Madras
Record set British India Office Births & Baptisms
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Subcategory Parish Baptisms
Collections from Great Britain, UK None
Looks a possible for me to check as it is after the marriage 7/2/67 in Madras and before Alfred Henry born 1868 in Trinulgherry. No indication she came to England so need to check her death if it was in India or if she was on board the ship.

Robert Gillingham
Event Type: Birth Registration
Registration Quarter: Oct-Nov-DecRegistration Year: 1841
Registration District: Bideford
County: Devon
Event Place: Bideford, Devon, England
Volume: 10
Affiliate Line Number: 16

Im wondering since Victoria was born at sea in 1874 and then her and her sister are noted as orphans in 1881 that leaves a death for her mother between Oct 1874 and 1881 census which i can't find a death in the UK for her which makes me think Catherine may have died at sea.
Were the 2 girls the only kids of their's who went to the UK? Did your Alfred stay in India or did he go the to UK as well?
Alfred was in the UK and I have his marriage 3/11/1890 where Father given as deceased.

Marriage
Name: Robert Gillingham
Event Date: 7 Feb 1867
Event Place: Madras, India
Event Place (Original): Bangalore, Madras, India
Marital Status: Single
Birth Year (Estimated): 1832
Father's Name: Alfred Gillingham
Spouse's Name: Catherine Keoling
Spouse's Gender: Female
Spouse's Age: 15
Spouse's Marital Status: Single
Spouse's Birth Year (Estimated): 1852
Spouse's Father's Name: William Keoling[/QUOTE

I have this damaged record from the India Office London and need to send for original marriage certificate. Where would that be held UK or India??
RGillingham marriage.jpg

Robert Gillingham
Event Type: Birth Registration
Registration Quarter: Oct-Nov-DecRegistration Year: 1841
Registration District: Bideford
County: Devon
Event Place: Bideford, Devon, England
Volume: 10
Affiliate Line Number: 16
Does this show a fathers name?

Im wondering since Victoria was born at sea in 1874 and then her and her sister are noted as orphans in 1881 that leaves a death for her mother between Oct 1874 and 1881 census which i can't find a death in the UK for her which makes me think Catherine may have died at sea.
Were the 2 girls the only kids of their's who went to the UK? Did your Alfred stay in India or did he go the to UK as well?
Alfred definitely came to England as I have his Marriage Cert and he is in my direct line.

Something to ponder..

Forces War Records has 5x entries for a Robert Gillingham [service no 75] between 1861-1868 which may be Robert. All variants of Sergeant. Son, Alfred's marriage has his father as a colour sergeant [dec].

Geoff

EDIT: I don't have a full subscription.
Cancelling my subscription as even their researcher are unable to find records for Colour Sergeant Roberts Gillingham

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk...ritish-army-muster-rolls-pay-lists-1730-1898/

The India Office Records are a very large collection of documents relating to the administration of India from 1600 to 1947, the period spanning Company and British rule in India. The archive is held in London by the British Library and is publicly accessible. It is complemented further by the India Papers collection at the National Library of Scotland in Edinburgh.

The records come from four main sources: the English and later British East India Company (1600–1858), the Board of Control (1784–1858), the India Office (1858–1947), and the Burma Office (1937–48). The collection also includes records from many smaller related institutions. Overall, the collection is made up of approximately 175,000 items, including official publications and records, manuscripts, photographs, printed maps and private papers. These items take up approximately nine miles of shelving units.
Will definitely be going back there and National Archive when Covid has gone away

Sometimes no matter how hard you look no records can be found, sadly not all records survived which makes searching even harder and we never find the answers we are looking for.

Alfred definitely in UK when he married and when his daughter and my maternal grandmother Kate Gillingham was born.

Robert Gillingham
Marriage year 1867
Marriage date 7 Feb 1867
Spouse's first name Catherine Keoling
Place Bangalore
Presidency Madras
Groom's age 25Bride's age 15
Groom's father's first name Alfred Gillingham
Bride's father's first name William Keoling
Catalogue description Parish register transcripts from the Presidency of Madras, : 1698-1948
Archive reference N-2-48
Folio number 62Entry number -
Record set British India Office Marriages
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Subcategory Parish MarriagesCollections from Great Britain, UK None

Back