• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Patrick BRODERICK

pbarling

No. -
I, Edward Naughton do hereby declare that I am a Member of, or hold Communion with, the Roman Catholic Church [signed] Edward Naughton
I, Anne Brotheric do hereby declare that I am a Member of, or hold Communion with, the Roman Catholic Church [signed] Anne (her x mark) Brotheric
I, Michael Brennan, of Goulburn, Priest of Goulburn, do hereby certify that, Edward Naughton of Chatsburey Co. Argyle and Anne Brotheric of Chatsburey Co. Argyle, were joined together in Wedlock by me on the Twenty third day of August 1843, at Goulburn, in the presence of Nicholas Ryan of Goulburn & Catherine Botheric of Chatsburey. Witnesses by their marks - Witness to all the above marks [signed] Michael Brennan
[signed] Michael Brennan

DaveHam9 I assume the above is off the marriage certificate? Do you have a certificate number etc?

thanks
Pat

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Pat,

It's not a copy from NSW Births, Deaths and Marriages.

The parish register is on film - actually on two different sets of films held by various libraries such as State Library of NSW and Mitchell Library.

The one you quote is my transcription of the image on film held by the State Library = Reel 5035

Volume 92 5035 1298-end (1993) Mar 1842-1843 Roman Catholic

My transcription from the film held by the Mitchell Library is this:

Reel FM4/3880
Page 212
Roman Catholic Marriages solemnized in the Parish of - in the County of Argyle in the Year 1843
No. 77
I, Edward Naughton do hereby declare that I am a Member of, or hold Communion with, the Roman Catholic Church [signed] Edward Naughton
I, Anne Brotheric do hereby declare that I am a Member of, or hold Communion with, the Roman Catholic Church [signed] Anne (her x mark) Brotheric
I, Michael Brennan, of Goulburn, Priest of Goulburn, do hereby certify that, Edward Naughton of Chatsburey Co. Argyle and Anne Brotheric of Chatsburey Co. Argyle, were joined together in Wedlock by me on the Twenty third day of August 1843, at Goulburn, in the presence of Nicholas Ryan of Goulburn & Catherine Botheric of Chatsburey. Witnesses by their marks - Witness to all the above marks [signed] Michael Brennan
[signed] Michael Brennan

Any differences may be due the way I read the image - some parts are clearer than others. Churches also keep duplicate registers so there can be differences between the two images.

If you wanted to order a copy of what NSW BDM has then the number to quote is 1963/1843

1963/1843 V18431963 92 NAUGHTON EDWARD - BROTHERIC ANNE - LO

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/Pages/family-history/family-history.aspx

I realise the actual name is Broderick. The NSW BDM index entry is correct in that it reflects the spelling in the register.

Also, the churches were only required to send certain particulars to the Registrar General. The actual copy from BDM may not contain everything that is on the image of the church register.

The films at the State Library have to be transcribed. They don't allow an image to be copied.

An individual image from the film in the Mitchell Library may be copied to USB.

Dave

Last edited:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
What do you have Geoff for 1878 death?

Windows 10 has just installed a major update. As expected reverted to default tiny text sizes. Damn Microsoft - now the registry changes do not take effect. I had a set of .reg files to change text sizes and other things and they no longer work.

I know there are trees that have the Patrick per 'Norfolk' but that one was in Hunter region when granted his ToL. Where is the proof that one is the Patrick buried in Laggan?

Where was the 'Norfolk' one when his CP was granted?

Dave

Last edited:

horse

Loyal Member
Yeah, the updates can be a pain at times, fortunately mine have settled now..

The Death cert. for Patrick Broderick 1878..

Geoff

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Does the death certificate list 'Norfolk' 3 or contain anything to sort out 2x Patrick?

Dave

horse

Loyal Member
Yeah, one ToL issued in 1840 per Norfolk 3, but was in Paterson, so no help there..
Oh!

Just checked the image, it says allowed to remain in Paterson Dec 1839. Looks to have been issued April 1840.

Also, on the same image is an addition, "Altered to Goulburn 9th June 1841. See letter from P ? Paterson... No 41/5554" So that should be in the Colonial Secretary's Papers.

Geoff

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Only these years
Colonial Secretary Index, 1788-1825

Years in colony rules out the 'Neptune' one.

Dave

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
BRODERICK Patrick Neptune 1838 46/519 Ticket of Leave [4/4207; Reel 959] District: Liverpool; Tried: Galway

BRODERICK Patrick - Neptune 1838 51/0102 1 Apr 1851 Conditional Pardon [4/10586; Reel 3037 Page 203-204] -

1838 and 1846 and 1851 - very different years.

There will be more details on both at the NSW Records way out west if I care to visit.

Dave

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
One of the three children.

Goulburn Evening Penny Post (NSW) - Tue 1 Sep 1908 p.4
OBITUARY.
A correspondent writes:-Yet another good old friend-one whose absence had not weakend the strength of a friendship we valued, or lessened the kindly feeling for one we esteemed and admired Mrs. Catherine Quinn, passed to the land of silence on Friday, 21st instant, at the residence of her daughter, Mrs. Weaver, Laggan. The deceased was the widow of the late Mr. John Quinn, and had attained the ripe old age of 81 years, the greater portion of which was spent in the Taralga district. She was a native of County Galway, Ireland, and came with her parents to this State when quite young. ...

Not quite right - came with brother and sister.

Ellie7

Loyal Member
John
Last name
Broderick
Birth year
-
Baptism year
Baptism date
04 May 1823
Parish
Tynagh