• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Payne (Indian Boer War 1886-1902)

SuzanneW

Hi all

Would anyone be kind enough to help me scale this wall (I have hit)!!!

Trying to find some history/info on:

Edmund Henry Payne
Born 1859
Canterbury, Kent

Died 1901 (India - I think)???

Married to: Dec 1885 (C/bury)

Emma Ann Maria Read
Born 1864
Canterbury, Kent

Died 1939

Struggling to find any military history on Edmund, apparently he served in India for a number of years, linked to horse riding, rumour has it he was a Captain????? and he had a family born in India????? twins who passed away out there?????

Would really appreciate any small amount of info, really struggling.

Sue :'( :'( :'(

pejay

Valued Member
Sue, I found a death for an Edmund Henry Payne in March qr 1901 estimated birth year 1860, age at death 41 Canterbury 2a 572 - this may not be him of course but if you think it is likely it may well be worth getting
a copy of this . What makes you think he perhaps died in India? do you happen to know what regiment he was in? a couple of websites to try - http://www.national-army-museum.ac.uk/research/
and also http://www.indiaman.com/regiments.htm
You could also try the national archives you will perhaps get some info from them. It would be helpful if you could find his regiment :)

pejay

Valued Member
Just found this in the 1901 census at 62 Northgate Street, Canterbury, Kent.
RG13 792/54/3 think it may be yours
Emma Payne head age 37 Widow ****? army captain - sorry cannot read it
Gordon R son 14
Harry L " 13
Dorothy M daugh 6 b India
Marjorie G " 5 b India
Cecily W " 1 b Natal
Emily A Meason visitor 56
Kate Marshall serv 22

hope this helps a bit :)

Last edited:

izabel

Staff member
There is a listing for a Captain and Riding Master E Henry Payne with the 5th Lancers in the Boer War. Maybe hes your guy

SuzanneW

Hello eveyone

Oh my god!!!! how great are all of you.................... amazing info, thank you,thank you, thank you.

Really appreciate all your help.

luv

Sue xx