• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Pennsylvania Passenger Lists lookup please?

benny1982

Staff member
From
England
Hi

Could someone please lookup the passenger lists of a Thomas Musgrave who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1886 giving full details please on Ancestry and see if he arrived with anyone or on his own?

I think this is my Thomas Musgrave.

Ben

Hi Ben,

Found this one on the Philadelphia passenger list

Steamship Lord Gough
Arrival date 7 Sept 1886
Port of Arrival Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Last residence England

Musgrove Peter age 45 born Ireland occ labourer
Musgrove Annie age 45 wife born Ireland
Musgrove Thomas age 48 born Engand occ labourer
Musgrove Mgt age 14 born England spinster

hi Ben,

There is Another Thomas Musgrove born abt 1837 Canada/English on the 1900 census with wife Margaret living in Philadelphia Ward 7, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, so he could be the one on the passenger list, then again Thomas on the passenger list gives his birth place as England.

Hi Julie.

Thanks. I dont think that is for my Thomas. Are passenger lists arriving at US ports complete or are there many errors etc?

Ben

Hi Ben,

Could be that some of the passenger lists didnt survive. I've looked on the New York PL and the Candian in case he came over the Canadian Border, but didnt spot anything.

Hi Julie

Yes there are probably many lists that have not survived and that may include for English ports plus much of the info just says Mr or just a surname which isn't very helpful.

And some emigrants may have made visits back to the UK at times.

Hi julie

A slight snag. Elizabeth Sutherland nee Musgrave had an obituary in 1911 and it says that her first husband was Thomas Wilson. I thought she married a Robert Wilson :confused: :confused: :confused:

I cannot find any Elizabeth Musgraves who wed a Thomas Wilson. Just my one who wed Robert in 1870. Why would the obituary say Thomas and not Robert.

The 1900 census says that she arrived in about 1881.

Hi Julie

The one born in 1837 on the 1910 census said he emigrated in 1868.

I now wonder if that 1886 arrival of Thomas Musgrave on the Lord Gough is mine? My Thomas had a daughter Margaret born in 1871. It says he was 48 but it could have meant 58 as my Thomas would have been 58 in 1886.

Ben

Back